Friday, July 13, 2007

Summer Reading Not Just For Kids....

This year the library held a reading program for the adults in town. I signed up. Partly to be a good example to my kids, but mostly because the books I wanted to read would become "homework" and it would be my excuse to neglect a little housework. "Six books in Six weeks by Six authors" was the plan. The books must come from the library to count. These are the books I chose.
#1) Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

#2) The Road by Cormac McCarthy

#3) Blink:The power of thinking without thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

#4) The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

#5) The Art of Losing by Keith Dixon

#6) The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

The first two books on my list were recommended to me, so I decided to give those a chance. The next four were just randomly chosen. I did want a variety of genres, so #3 is non-fiction and #6 is an autobiography. These books were all totally different, and I gleaned something from each of them--whether it be knowledge or purely entertainment. Tonight we all met at the library at 6 o'clock for a potluck salad supper. For those of you that really know me, you know that I love to read. I've mentioned before that some people intimidate me. Well, attending things like this without any kind of crutch (crutch meaning with someone I know) actually frightens me. This situation is one that ranks high on my list of out-of-my-comfort-zone activities. I attended anyway. All alone. Just me. I decided I need to break down some barriers and grow up a little. I'm really glad I went. There are about 5 "regulars" that attend the library book club throughout the year. This past year I actually intended to join this particular club. I even purchased the books, and read most of them. At the end of each month as the meeting loomed near, something would come up. Shawn would be on call, enrichment of some sort, some kind of cooking club, or a game night. I recently came to the conclusion that it really wasn't these things that held me back, they were mere excuses for my intimidation. After meeting these people, I am saddened that I missed their discussions. I really think I can learn a lot from these well-read townies. This fall I will once again purchase the books with the intent of attending the library book club. If I happen to not make it to one, it will be a legitimate reason, not merely an excuse.

9 comments:

Jodie B. said...

Depending on when the meeting fall and my ever gone husbands schedule, I may be willing to go with you. Let me know when the list comes out and I will try to read a couple and go too. You are right, it is good to branch out a little but really intimidating to do sometimes!! Always helps to have a friend with you!

Erin said...

Jayne, I plan on joining the library book club this year. Hopefully I can make the meetings!

Chantel said...

I tagged you on my blog :) YOUR IT!

Scott & Tami said...

Jayne,
Way to go Jane!!! It's not easy to step out of your comfort zone....willingly!!! I totally want an update on your family...little Ben is married!!! I guess he's not so little now. How old is Katelyn now? What are your connections to St. George? Does Charlie live in Alaska or just visiting? Tell me about his wife. Where is Lyndsey living? Holy cow, I can't wait to get the scoop. I hope you have a good trip.
Tami

Scott & Tami said...

I just realized I mispelled your name right after I spelled it right....I'm so lame...sorry!

luke & misty meldrum family said...

Hey I want to know you family's info too!!! Tami and I talk on the phone everyday. Ty is going to school in AZ. When I call he doesn't say much so I he is doing the same old same old. Going to school, work, and doing something on the computer. My brother Brent has two kids, a boy Jarom 7 and a girl Dara 4. They are done having kids. They don't really give me much info on them when I hear from them. So since you stay in touch with Tam you know what is going on in our fam!! love you Jayne

Sheen said...

I didn't even know there was a book club at the library... Now that I do, it seems kind of "duh". Anyway, nice work getting out of your comfort zone. Maybe I'll have to try something new and scary.

Eric said...

The Road is a great read! Keri & Charlie gave it to me for Fathers Day and I read it when we were in Alaska.

Blink is one I bought cheap and loaded it on my Palm. I guess I should read it.

Attending pot luck dinners is not my idea of a fun time, especially if I don't know anyone there. I tend to feel like an orphan at a family reunion. I am proud of you for stepping outside of your box!

Erin said...

I LOVE your resolution! That is awesome that you're getting involved in the library book club. I especially like that you got to pick your own books for the '6 books in 6 weeks' thing. I agree - I would love to have a legitimate excuse to read a novel every week. How awesome is that!
(Erin Walker)

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.