Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Pyro? Maybe not.

Give a man a medical degree and all of a sudden everything becomes a safety hazard. Trampoline? Broken limbs. Motorcycles? Death. Fireworks? Blown off body parts. Yes, that is the fear this year. This coming from the man that 3 years ago tied 30 sparklers together and jimmy-rigged a contraption off the side of our mailbox just to see what would happen. Here in Missour-a nothin' is illegal when it comes to this glorious holiday. (pertaining to fireworks that is) You haven't truly enjoyed the 4th until you've celebrated in a state where roman candles and screaming rattlers are a part of familiar vocabulary. Usually Shawn is counting his pennies and trying to bargain with me how much money should be allotted for this pyro-technic display he will perform. "It's for the children Jayne." That's the one that usually gets me. This year has been different. He's been moonlighting in a lot of ER's around the area, and seen countless surgeries involving some sort of explosive. We do not have one single firework in our possession as of this minute. Ethan has been saying for the past two weeks when we drove down the main drag that we need to purchase fireworks. This town has more fireworks for sale than the entire state of Utah. Three days ago I even jumped on the bandwagon and have been trying to get my husband out the door to one of these tents with the kids. I've threatened that I would go alone and get them if he refused. Why should we all suffer because he now knows what can really happen when a firework misfires? He finally relented and is headed out the door with three kids in tow. (Landon needs a nap so I volunteered to be the one to stay home). I'm curious to see if he actually holds true to what he's been saying for the past two weeks. If I truly know my dear sweet pyro-at-heart husband, he'll come home having spent more money then I deemed appropriate to spend. After all, you can take the boy away from the fireworks, but you can't take the fireworks out of the boy. Or something like that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will never forget the firework celebration at your house while we were in MO! It was the best! In Ohio the only fireworks that are legal are sparklers and smoke bombs- no kidding! We have managed to smuggle some home and set them off-I know, we like to live on the edge! Justin is working in the ER tonight which means he should have some good stories tomorrow! Be safe!

Erin said...

So, how did it end? Did he come home loaded with great spectacular fireworks, or just the white little pop-pops that make a sound when you throw them on the ground? :)

Tisha said...

well???? What happened? I remember some GREAT firework shows at the Crook's. I don't think Shawn could give it up that easily.

DeGooyer Family said...

I'm interested to hear how it went, too! =)

Abby said...

Hi Jayne! I found your blog through Tisha's blog - how are you doing?! It's been fun to see you guys & all of your cute photos! You look so good and the kids are so grown up! Take care! --Abby Welker (abbywelker@yahoo.com) email me and I'll give you our blogspot address.

Eric said...

I love this - having read it after reading your rendition of how the 4th went with your pyro clan.

Nothing in Alaska is legal! Next year maybe we will be in MO!

The Posse said...

Yes, I read this after your report on the 4th. Boys are so predictable. And you just love 'em for it.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.