Friday, July 27, 2007

Honesty is still the best policy......

I love the "friends" series. One episode comes to mind today. I remember an episode where Phoebe ends up with money accidentally being deposited into her bank account, and when she calls customer service to rectify the situation, instead of withdrawing the accidental cash, they end up depositing the same amount again doubling her accidental increase. She was frustrated because she didn't want the extra money and nobody at the bank would take it back. That is what has happened to me-------kind of. When my kids finish summer school the money they earn is put on a debit card credited with the amount of money earned. Shawn and I don't want our kids to think all money is just on cards, so we give them the cash and then use the cards ourselves. I went to Walmart wednesday night. My total was $58. I used the card I had for $75 leaving me with a balance of $16. Last night I went to walmart to buy some things for our trip. My total rang up to $94. I was planning on using the balance on the one card, and then just paying for the rest with another debit card. When I swiped my card and signed my name, the card took longer than usual to clear. When it cleared it came up as paid in full. I mentioned to the cashier that my card only had a balance of $16 and I owed her a lot more money. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "It cleared. If you really want to I guess you can go to customer service". She made it sound like I should just be happy it cleared and leave the store. I can't do that. My conscience won't let me. So I head over to customer service where they tell me to call the number on the back of the card, maybe there was more money on it than I thought. I called the number on the back. The customer service rep told me their services were down and I'd have to call back tomorrow. Today is tomorrow, so I called back. They told me they have no record of last nights transaction and that I have a balance of $16. Okay, I still can't let it go at this point. I call Walmart. I tell my story to 3 different people and am then passed onto accounting. The lady in accounting tells me there is nothing I can do. Maybe they don't understand people trying to give them BACK money when most of their litigation suits are due to people wanting money back themselves? I've tried everything. Apparently nobody wants this $94 that is floating around somewhere in space unclaimed. I suppose I could take a check for the amount owed and try to give it to a clerk, who in turn would question me as to where the goods were I intended to purchase. I feel that now I owe it to myself to have a clear conscience because I've exhausted my efforts. Secretly, a part of me is thinking of what else I should have bought last night that would have cleared on that card. I guess I'm honest, but I'm also human.

9 comments:

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

That is crazy! If no one claims the $94, I know someone who could use it...;) Ok, no...that is the human side...the honest side says, I can't wait to hear the rest! =)

The Posse said...

I am so impressed with such a level of honesty. I consider myself a pretty honest person, but you've gone above and beyond here! Kudos to you!

Eric said...

There is nothing surprising about you trying to make it right - I would have done the same thing.

With experience in the corporate world, I also believe that you will get nowhere trying to make it right. No one at Walmart will even care, and if they did, I doubt you will ever find anyone who knows how to 'fix' anything should you show up with the money.

Good luck in figuring it out! In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if it can't be figured out.

Erin said...

That is so weird! I can understand how it would almost be frusterating that none of them would deal with the problem that they got cheated out of $94! That is a huge chunk of money, and if they actually say you can't do anything about it, then count it a blessing! :)

Chantel said...

That is funny, you have to LOVE Walmart! I also LOVE friends, you will have to ask Jodie how we killed our husbands at the Friends game :)

Jodie B. said...

Wow- next time you head to Wal-Mart, let me know. I have a few things that I will have you get for me since they don't seem to want your money!!! That is crazy but I guess I too would just count it as a extra little blessing!

rebecca said...

I think it is great that you went so above and beyond to fix the problem, but I think now you can just sit back and say you really really tried and count it as a little blessing to make up for how awesome you are to be driving across the country on Monday with 4 kids and no husband :)

kedixo said...

Hi Jayne -- just wanted to say i noticed that you have my novel 'The Art of Losing' in your reading list -- hope you enjoy it! Love checking in with the blog...

Ashley said...

I tend to walk out of grocery stores quite often with an unpaid gallon of milk under my cart. So let's just call it even between the two of us :) Just kidding! This just reminded me of it because I get the weirdest looks when I pay for it the next time I come through the line.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.