Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Ewwww........
I like to think that Landon is a pretty smart kid, minus the lacking vocabulary skills I've mentioned many times before. I'm noticing that he is becoming quite the independent child because of this. If he's hungry he'll head into the kitchen and start eating leftovers from many a previous meal dropped into the deep crevices of his high chair. I enter the kitchen, see him foraging, and get him something decent to eat. If he's tired he'll start stamping his feet, grunting, and pointing to the secret place I hide his pacifiers because they are only for bedtime. I ask if he wants a nap and he nods his head. See, he's figured out how to get my attention without words. Today he did the unthinkable in order to get my attention over his need for a drink. I was folding laundry in my bedroom, so crying wasn't going to get me into the kitchen to see him pointing to his cup placed just out of his reach, so he resorted to getting his own drink. Shawn had left an empty cup on his nightstand and I watched Landon pick it up. He's always transporting things room to room so I thought nothing of this activity. Kennedy happened to also be watching him and she sometimes follows him around simply for entertainment. I kept folding (mountains of laundry always) and then I heard Kennedy from my bathroom saying, "Oh, Landon, no, oh, Mom, Landon, no, no, don't, ewww". It actually sounded kind of urgent like she just didn't know how to solve the problem herself and she needed my help. I arrived just in time to stop the actual drinking. Landon had ever so carefully dipped the cup into the toilet, and scooped it full to the top. I caught him when it was almost to his lips. I think I threw up a little in my mouth. Of course I went and got him a drink from the faucet, after I scrubbed both his hands and my own. I guess now the mystery is solved as to why this particular child has had rotovirus 3 times in his very short life. Who knows how long he's been drinking out of my toilet. I now keep the bathroom doors shut so if I ever hear them open, I know he must be thirsty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
11 comments:
This makes me laugh out loud! Don't you wonder what else they do when we are not looking. Sort of makes me want to put a little camera on the top of their heads as they play to make sure I can see what they are doing all the time!! So funny and well- gross at the same time!!
Oh no!!! Gross yet it is one of those stories that will haunt him for quite a while!!!!
Oh my gosh!!
Wait 'till his future girlfriends hear that he used to drink out of the toilet! Maybe you could use that as an anti-kissing leverage tool!
That is so gross, and so funny! You will have to tell that to the future Mrs. Landon C. :)
Is there a difference between needing to talk and having the ability to talk? Could it be that Landon doesn't talk simply because he has no need to do so, with his ability to communicate using other methods? I have heard that we humans, in our communication, use other than verbal skills to commune more than verbal.
Our cat drinks out of the toilet all the time. I heard of a recent study, that made national news, that there were fewer germs in some toilets than in some kitchens. While I don't drink out of toilets myself, I wouldn't castigate the little kid just because he was thirsty. A pat on the back for ingenuity would be appropriate - and then just don't think about it.
Max has been doing this as well! Maybe we should have them get together for a "lunch" break at the potty!
HA! How funny (for me.) Maybe someday you'll be able to look back and laugh, too. =) I've never caught my kids doing this, but I'm sure they have... I bet most kids have at least once.
That made me laugh so hard I almost cried! Kennedy's response was hilarious!
That is absolutely hilarious! I love it!
LOL! Kids are so clever and well intentioned!
Post a Comment