Friday, July 6, 2007
7-7-07
People are referring to this day as the day of luck. Lucky 7's. I myself find it to be a special day because 12 years ago I was being sealed for time and all eternity to the man I love. Wow. 12 years seems like forever ago. I still remember the day I met Shawn. My ward at Rick's College was hosting a fall barn dance. Shawn and his roommates attended this affair with none other than my FHE sisters. Shawn must have thought I was hot because he asked me to dance. His roommate Stace also asked me to dance. I was just out to have a good time that night so didn't take particular interest in either boy. A few nights later Stace asked me to a formal dance hosted by the school. Apparently him and Shawn had discussed me and Shawn being the gentlemen he was (and not wanting to get involved with the opposite gender due to extensive schooling in the future years) relented and let Stace have me. So, that is how it went. I dated Stace. Only Stace wasn't really my "type". He was a beefcake that drove a fancy pick-up that he treated like a child. Don't get me wrong, he was fun. We always had a good time. One night we had gone to the movies and ended up back at his apartment around 10 pm or so. Shawn was sitting at a large table in the middle of the living room holding a 48 oz. caffeinated beverage and studying from various textbooks spread out within his reach. Stace and I sat down on the couch to discuss further plans for the evening. (Remember when the night started at 10:30? Now it ends at 8. What a change.) Shawn obviously didn't want to be disturbed, but he was also easily distracted and very friendly. He and I engaged in small talk. It seemed only minutes had passed when I looked at the clock and it was 5 am. Stace had fallen asleep on the couch hours ago and Shawn and I were enjoying our conversation so much we lost track of time. I vividly remember walking in my apartment door and telling my roommates "don't ever let me date Shawn because if I do, I will marry him". (I guess I failed to mention that at that time I was waiting for a missionary. What a patient "waiter" I was.) Obviously Stace and I called it quits shortly thereafter. The next year I ended up living with Shawn's sister Rhonda. We both later admitted to secretly arranging this living companionship, but it was so sneaky on both our parts neither one was the wiser. Shawn and I basically became best friends. I started to get hooked and when he'd call to see if I wanted to go to the laundromat with him, I'd quickly empty my drawers into a basket so I had something to wash. I found myself waiting by my apartment door until I saw him exit his door across the street so we could walk to class together. It was pretty pathetic. We finally started to date a little, or rather just admit we enjoyed one another's company. It wasn't the traditional dating. We did things like homework, laundry, he'd call me over and make me pancakes for breakfast, and just real life things like that. I was woken many a morning to help him push start his car so he could go to the grocery store. Even push starting his car was enjoyable to me. Crazy. I'd kill him if he woke me up now at 7 am to push start a car. We officially broke up 2 days before we got engaged, and spent those 2 days discussing with each other how crappy it was that we couldn't get married. Sounds so silly to me now, but at the time it all made sense. So, on 7-7-95 we joined together as man and wife. Every year around this time we like to reflect on all that we've accomplished in the years we've been together. We really have done a lot. As I sit in this comfortable house, with my 4 kids sleeping upstairs, knowing I have 2 vehicles that start everytime I put the key in the ignition, I can visibly see how far we've come. It's good for me to remember the push-starting corolla we once owned and all that wedding money we received that had to pay for our first months rent in that spider infested basement that was so damp I got strep throat as a wedding gift. It helps me to see and appreciate how hard Shawn works for our family. We aren't celebrating this year as I'd hoped. Shawn is in Utah at his sisters wedding and I'm home with the kids. I did go out to lunch and shopping with some friends in lieu of my celebration with my husband and had a great time, so don't feel sorry for me. He deserves the much needed break. As for our anniversary celebration? We'll find sometime to sneak out together and enjoy one another's company. I love his company more and more with each passing year. It's funny to think that on our wedding day I loved him as much as I possibly could have, and I marvel at how much my love for him still grows. I love you babe. Happy Anniversary. Life's only going to get better, I'm sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
16 comments:
Happy Anniversary!!!!
What a sweet story! I love your blog!
Happy Anniversary :) You and Shawn are such a great couple and I am blessed to call you my friends :)
Thanks for sharing! Your story is SO cute. I had to laugh at the breaking up part two days before you got engaged, same story here. It is funny how it all seemed to make sense at the time. I guess life was all very dramatic back then. Happy Anniversary!
Jayne and Shawn - Happy Anniversary!! What a sweet wife you are, and what a great couple you make! =)
Happy Anniversary!! I loved reading you story- I am a sucker for that stuff. I think that you two are a wonderful example to all of us. It is hard to specify what you are an example of..... there is so much!!! Congratulations on another year together!!!
I loved reading this story!! It is one that I have never heard - at least not told the way you have hear. There are just a few things that you didn't want everyone to know, back then.
The particular day you celebrate an event doesn't matter so much as the celebration. Any day will work!
Congrats....wow 12 years. that also makes me old, as that is the year i graduated....i was soooooo glad it was shawn and not the one you so patiently waited for....
SO COOL, Jayne! I love the story.
Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary (late) to you too! =) LOVED your story! =)
Happy Anniversary... what a great story. I love hearing the "success" stories, especially since there seem to be so many horror stories. Congrats on twelve years!
Your blog inspired me thanks! I miss you like crazy! I remember those days when you were in the midst of all your dating fun!! How fun to look back. I remember doubling with you and Stace to some dance we went to. Love tons!!
Jayne, Hi it's CALI!!!! I was so excited when Ashley showed me your blog. I have wondered over the years about you and Lindsey. It looks like you are doing great. Your family is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I have been checking in on your blog....I hope that's okay. I think I am getting a blog soon too...so I will leave a comment to let you know when I do...what a great way to keep in touch with family and friends! Anyway, keep up the good work. I LOVE your blog.
Yeah Cali! Definitely send me your blog address when you get one--I'd love to see more of your crew. I've seen a little on Ashley's, but only a little, so I'm excited to see more!
Jordan and I broke up 2 days before we were engaged too, what a coincidence! Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment