Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ethan's Birthday....

Ethan turned 11.....on December 5th. He opted to take one friend to a place called Paradise Park. Indoor money-sucker that has arcades, climbing walls, bumper cars, and all you can eat pizza. His only request? No siblings. Yes. All he wants is to be an only child. Alas, he has to settle for birthday celebrations without them. He and his friend Ethan (the irony) had a great time. Their favorite activity was the rock climbing wall. They both made it to the top a number of times. Good times.Ethan being 11 is crazy to me. I remember the day I birthed him. When they laid him on my stomach I couldn't suppress the tears. The words that came out of my mouth? "It's a real baby!" Sounds weird, I know. But for 9 months I had this person growing inside me and it truly became real when I could see the babe. I was not prepared for motherhood. Poor Ethan took the brunt of that. And he still does. He is so honest it's amazing. A very trustworthy boy. And so stinkin' smart. Unbelievably smart. For instance, our dinner conversation tonight surrounded comedy. What's funny, what's not. Ethan said, "comedy is only funny if it fits the current situation". Who is this kid? So logical. Analytical. And just plain smart. His latest talent is the Rubik's cube. He got one for Christmas (per his request). I fondly remember taking the stickers off to make the thing right again. Ethan. He actually solves it. Every. Single. Time. "Mom, it's an algorithm. Once you know that, it's pretty easy." Yes Ethan. Like it's easy to turn water into gold. But to him, it's just that easy. He's going to go far in life if he puts any kind of energy into it. If it's his passion, he's submerged. I'm glad he's my oldest. He's a great example to the younger ones. I love you Ethan.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

oh mom. You never cease to make me laugh with your descriptions of my awesomeness. Lol. Thanks!

Danelle said...

I remember when Ethan was born, too. I remember coming to your little apartment, in Provo, with Lynz. I even have a photo of the wee, little dude. I can't believe that was 11 years ago.

Happy birthday, Ethan!

Even his comment, above, is pretty dang awesome.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.