Sunday, December 20, 2009

Road Trip Detours....

Like I mentioned in my previous post, we headed back west for Kate's wedding day. Which happened to fall 2 days after Thanksgiving. Which meant we were able to spend the holiday with our extended families this year. The Thomas Family graciously ate their meal on Wednesday so we could be a part of the festivities. It's actually the first time in 14 years that we've all been together for Thanksgiving. Pretty cool. We sure have grown in numbers over the years. The kids all ate in the kitchen. The adults ate in the living room. My camera never made it past the kitchen.


On the actual holiday we headed to Salt Lake to eat with the Crook family. Minus Dusty and his brood. My camera didn't make it into the bag that was packed to leave with us to Salt Lake. But we still had a great time. Then back to Idaho for the wedding. Sounds easy, right? The drive to Salt Lake is 4 hours. The kids were troopers for all the miles we put in.
Sunday we decided to head south to St. George. But. Our kids had never been to Temple Square. We decided to stay the night in Salt Lake and see the lights. Uncle Charlie happened to be there with his friend Armine---so we spent a little time with them too. We hung around inside out of the cold to see the Christus, and see a short film on Christ's birth.

Then headed out to see the lights. For whatever reason, as soon as we were outside my kids were done. Done done. Like, I wanted to leave them never to return to them kind of done. It was irritating. And cold. The live Nativity was beautiful. And the kids watched it for .0000009 seconds before deciding Charlie's camera was more exciting.


Then Landon wanted to use my camera to take pictures of his uncle. The fun never ends.

I really wanted a family picture by the Temple. I got one. In fact I told the kids that if they'd sit still for these two pictures we'd go back to our hotel the second they were done. If they didn't cooperate, we'd stay for another hour. They cooperated. So we left. I still think it was worth the trip.

I find it ironic that the two whose coats glow like angel halos were the least angelic during this evening adventure.....
Monday morning we left our hotel room and headed to BYU. Shawn was determined to outfit the entire family with apparel supporting his--I mean our--team. We headed to the bookstore. Jack and Landon crawled under all the dressing room stalls, Presley took everything off the shelves that were in her reach (after we lost her once), Ethan whined that he was hungry, and Kennedy wanted to buy every article of clothing in her size. After 1 hour I decided I was needing a break and lunch was in order. The Cougareat was where we headed. We tag-teamed. I stood in line at Subway with the 4 older kids while Shawn found a table big enough to seat us all. Then he sat with the eating kids while I stood in line at Teryaki Stix for us. Perfect. While standing in line all alone I had time to take notice of the students around me. The just married couples carrying their own brown bag lunches too poor to buy food. The newly dating couples laughing continuously at one anothers comments. The newly engaged couples engaged in conversation and oblivious to those surrounding them. Wow. We sure have come a long way. We at one time were a part of each of those scenarios. I took special notice of my own scenario as I made my way to the table Shawn chose. 5 little bodies devouring sandwiches. Landon eating his under the table with his shoes off. Presley squealing because she wasn't within reach of her sippy cup. Shawn breaking off bits of sandwich to place in front of her. I couldn't help but smile. I also wanted to turn around and sit alone to eat in peace, but I decided I'd better join them. Then back to the bookstore. After 1 more hour of climbing, pulling, whining, begging, and running, we did it. We all came away with something BYU that met Shawn's approval. And I came away with a serious headache and a promise to never return until my own kids are enrolled to attend. I also came away with memories of our first years of marriage. All the newness that comes with it. Those were good times back then. But I feel like now is filled with even better times. Amazing. And a fabulous blessing.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

When did you get bangs?!? I am totally digging them, they look cute.

Eric said...

Maybe you won't have to return to BYU with your kids as students. They could choose to go somewhere else, like Utah State, or maybe somewhere in Missouri, or even Kansas!

Jessica said...

what? you were in utah and you didn't call??? you're in trouble.

HeatherWasHere said...

Oh so funny! It really feels like yesterday that I was there in the midst of all that. Just a few short years is a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Amen! :) Mom's are angels in my opinion as they endure such experiences. Love you, Jayneeeee!

Melissa said...

So much fun. I saw a Shawn on Sunday. What's a few days away right? HAHA I need to get your new address. Merry Christmas.

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Glad to hear that I'm not the only mom who's children decide they are done just as an outing begins. Or, lets be honest, in the car on the way there. 95% of the time I don't even try anymore, so kudos to you.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.