Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Wheels for Heels....

One Friday morning I got up pretty early, as I typically do. Presley likes to eat as the sun rises. Sometimes she goes back to sleep, and sometimes she stays awake. I rarely go back to dreamland. I usually send Shawn off to work, and then I start my typical morning routine of getting the kids off to school. When I have a little time before the waking ritual, I usually head into my bathroom. After emptying my bladder for the 2nd time since waking (bladders are never the same after 5 kids), I usually find myself in front of the mirror. I like to examine all the negative aspects of my figure. The extra fluff around my middle, the way my thighs touch each other, my jiggly arms. So the self-loathing begins. Self pity is in abundance. This morning was the same. I didn't have to weigh myself because I changed weigh in day to Mondays. Thank goodness. My mental state couldn't have born that burden this morning. I left the bathroom knowing that today I'd have to run extra hard. A lot happened before I was able to actually begin that run. I was glad when Shawn showed up around 11 so I could run outside. I feel like I've mastered the indoor run. My treadmill has a tv and a flex-deck, so it's really like going on vacation. It's still a workout. But for some reason I've mentally conquered any pitfalls I might have. Outside is a different story. There are hills. And wind. And people that can see me. Mentally this is challenging. Especially when I start off a run with my mind cluttered with negative self-loathing thoughts. In all actuality, I'm not really a runner. I think you have to be really good at running to consider yourself that. I can go further and faster now than ever before. But I still don't consider myself a true runner. I'm just a girl trying to get this cumbersome body to move. The sun was shining full force at 11, and it was hot. I found myself chattering within myself. You can't do this. You are sooooo slow. C'mon slug. Pick up the pace. If only I was 10 pounds lighter. Then I could go farther. Running outside is hard enough, but you add this incessant negative chatter and it's a disaster. 40 minutes in and I quit. I just stopped. And I walked. I still had to get home. More negative chatter. Loser. You couldn't even make it the entire way home. What is wrong with you? You've done this route before and made it just fine. Loser. Man. I felt my body start to tense. I wanted to at least finish the last 1/2 mile running. As I turned the corner onto my street I was hit---BAM! Perspective at it's finest. In the form of my neighbor. My neighbor in a wheelchair. He was out collecting his mail. Only I could tell it was a chore. His arms have limited mobility so it was slow going to get the mailbox door open. I felt naked. And guilty. If he could have heard that little person in my head a few minutes ago griping about my fat thighs. At least I have them. And they work. Great in fact. They let me travel a number of miles. Mostly running. Kind of changed my whole thought process in regards to my self worth. I've also changed my thoughts on running. Instead of just trying to fit in my cute pants I'm trying to become a true runner. One that loves the feel of the wind in my face. I'm trying to eat healthier because I feel better when I do. I'm pushing myself to run farther and faster because I can. And there are some that would, but can't. I'm just trying to enjoy myself and all that running has to offer. Fitting in my cute pants will probably be a side effect. A side effect that I can easily live with. Two weeks in and so far so good. Let's just hope this trend continues.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh Jayne. I loved this post. I wish I could come run with you so we could discuss the inner workings of The Hills rather than thinking about what we hate about our bodies. And next time you start thinking like that, go look at the five incredible kids your body built and nurtured. Sure, we'd have much different bodies without them (or at least have the time to get those bodies back without their demands) but you wouldn't change it.

Danelle said...

Jayne, remember my "suck it out and share it" post? This is sort of what I was trying to say...you said it so much better. Appreciate what you have. Love what you have. Share what you have. Thanks for saying what I wanted to. A down right lovely post.

Lyndsey said...

amen sister! maybe that is why i want to be an OT....

Natalie said...

Inspirational!..... and made me feel extra silly about my negative self-chatter that has been going on for the past couple weeks.
Thanks.

Audrey said...

You're such a great writer. I really relate to so much of what you write. I exercise every morning too and then I look at myself in the mirror--why did they install such a LARGE mirror in this bathroom anyway? I think maybe bathroom mirrors should not go below our shoulders? Anyway, I too criticize myself pretty harshly and tell myself those same things. Life in this image conscious society is so hard on us.
BUT, like you said, we are blessed to have healthy, strong bodies that bore children and let us do so many things we want to do--like eat ice cream and popcorn. It may not be perfect, but I'm trying to love my body better too.

Becca said...

First, it was more than fun to talk to you tonight. It reminds me how much I miss you! It has also made realize that a girls weekend in St. Louis sometime in the next year is a must!
Second, don't be so hard on yourself. And definitely don't compare yourelf to anyone else. Look at what YOU are doing and what YOU are accomplishing and it will make you feel better! And for the record, I don't run to be a runner, and you shouldn't either. I run for me. I run for my sanity. I run so I can see my friends at the crack of dawn. I run because I love it and it's part of who I am. And no matter how slow or fast I am, no matter how much my thighs rub together, I wouldn't give up those moments of peace--and frequently hell--for anything in the world because it helps make me who I am!
Miss you!

Laurissa said...

I think every "real" runner has been at this same point many times. Thanks to kids I've stopped and started and stopped and started running too many times (and every time I start again it's with the mirror sequence you described). Just keep telling yourself, "I'm getting stronger because I'm working hard the best I can." Your probably only a few weeks from looking in the mirror and saying "Wow, I'm starting to look better." So don't give up now!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Kudos to you. To tell the truth, I hardly ever look down. Can you take a shower with your eyes closed? You bet.
My negativity is because after my 5th I got down to the same weight I was when I was married. Kept it off for 2 1/2 years...and then, gaining a pound a month....2 years later...now I've got to lose 25. THAT I ALREADY LOST ONCE. So when people say, "But you've had kids," I feel like that's an empty excuse, because it wasn't the kids (at least this time) it was ME. In my attempt to relax and love my body and be accepting, I began to not pay attention. And now I'm completely miserable, but, in all fairness, I didn't feel much different on the inside when I was at my "perfect" weight (except, of course, that my cute pants fit HAHA).
My husband and I had a talk about plastic surgery and what we both thought, and I was sad to say that there were two reasons I (me, personally) couldn't go to that extreme. 1. I could never fix everything I perceive to be wrong in ONE surgery (can I make a list?) and 2. I would feel like I was telling God "thanks but no thanks". Thank you for giving me a strong, healthy body that works the way it should and has been able to have five children, but that's not good enough. I need more. Perfection. Or as close as I can get. Even though it's only my husband that ever truly sees it, and, let's face it, men could care less. "Looks perfect to me," is all I get from him. Look at me, writing a novel....sorry - you just struck a nerve ;)

Raquel said...

Jayne you are such a hoot. I think you should have asked the man for a ride.
I think the worst part of having a baby is not the 9 months carrying them, or the pain of labor, or morning sickness, I believe it is trying to cope with what is left of the body afterwards, and getting to a point of acceptance. Either I can accept that this is the new changed me, or accept that this is going to take me awhile to get back to where I was, and I will be patient during the transformation process.
Okay truth be told, I still want the quick fix pill, forget about patiences!

Rebecca Pierce said...

Jayne. Thanks for the thoughts. I need to be better. I've been losing weight since I found out I had a few health issues contributing to my weight, and even though I have lost a size, I start thinking, "I have to do that how many more times to actually look less fat?" It's daunting at this point. I think I already need to read your post again.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.