After the banquet, Shawn remembered he needed to clean out his locker. This was quite the feat. After practically living in a small square for 4 years, quite a few things accumulate. Only. Shawn accumulated 4 lockers. Full of papers, mugs, pens, Mt. Dew bottles, a pair of stinky operating room shoes. And surgical clamps. One locker dedicated to surgical clamps. I also have a drawer in my bathroom devoted to these babies. No use for them that I can see. It's almost like Shawn is afraid he'll never be able to get his hands on a pair when he needs them. Someone needs to remind him he'll always have access to them as long as he's able to retain employment.
This night was actually a ginormous event in our lives. It indicated the end of a long journey.
2 years clinical rotations = check
Graduation = check
1 year internship (with lots of icky in-house call nights) = check
3 years anesthesia residency (including various out rotations, long labor epidurals causing sleep to occur at odd hours, various ER moonlighting opportunities, and not being able to control anything in his work environment) = check
The anesthesia group officially declaring him competent in his field and being given the official title of "Anesthesiologist" = check
I think his face sums up his feelings on this.
17 comments:
congrats shawn!! he looks like val kilmer (sp?) in this picture and most of the time
Congrats!! It still seems so far away for us.
Congratulations on this new chapter of your life! Or should I say a whole new book? I don't know how you survived like that for years...
Hurray!!! Now he's a real REAL doctor. Not just a real fake doctor. Awesome!
Yay! I can't wait for Justin to be in those shoes (those ginormous size 13 shoes...). Has Shawn always had glasses? Anyway, back on subject, YAY for the Crooks!!
I don't think the list does the journey justice!
YAHOO YAHOO YAHOO!!!
Jayne,
Congratulations to both of you. I love reading your posts. You are an excellent writer. Love you!!
What a huge time in all of your lives. I am excited to read about the next year...congrats!
Congratulations Shawn! I am so excited for you and your family. Lynz was right, he does resemble Val Kilmer...in his Top-Gun-Real-Genius years, not his I-think-I'll-run-for-governor-of-New-Mexico-because-I'm-all-washed-up-years.
I like those surgery shoes. Adidas rock.
YAY! I like the Val Kilmer comment up top.... I immediately thought of the now Val Kilmer who is on the "Stars that have let themselves go" list. he he he
What a bittersweet night! And what a great check list to brag about! Congrats you guys--looks like all the hard work is totally paying off. And Jayne, you look fantastic!
Yay! Yay! Now I can start getting awesome free vacations courtesy of the new anesthesiologist! Right Mr Kilmer?...no, I just can't do it; I had a thing for Val Kilmer in his Ghost in the Darkness days. Congratulations! After all that time and things you have accomplished I became a lunch lady;) Ya, I know, overachiever.
I'm so proud of both of you! What an accomplishment. And 4 additional babies along the way. You're my heros!
HOOORAY! :) to both of you for this long awaited step in your lives...
That's such exciting and wonderful news. How fun. To celebrate, I snuck in with your sister and her kids to her old apartment pool. It was great. We drank Sonic and lounged around. Thinking of you guys the whole time of course.
I am so proud of you guys! It is so cool that a kid I grew up with is now an anesthesiologist!! And, you made a beaufiful family along the way! Maybe we can reunite someday and the men can chat in procedural lingo! Good luck with the new job!
THIS is your husband? You really DO have one? I totally thought you have been making him up for the last year I have known you ;)
The pool is so different without you there ;)
Great to read and see how you guys are doing!
Post a Comment