Thursday, May 14, 2009
Overturned....
Somber. That is how I'd describe today using one word. Somber. A tornado ripped through the north part of our small town last night. Around 6:00 last night I was giving Presley a bath. Shawn had just turned on the tv and asked "which is the bad one? A tornado watch or a warning". I continued to watch little Pres splash her way back and forth from the foot of the tub to the head of the tub, then back again. "A warning. That means they've actually seen one in the county." "Oh. Then we are under a warning right now." Calm as that he said it. We've lived here 8 years and only had 1 other warning. Tornadoes always go around us. We are invincible. As calmly as he mentioned it, I said "I guess we better get in the basement then." Shawn headed downstairs. The kids were already there doing what they always do. Me? I finished up lotioning down Presley, diapering, and getting her in pajamas. Then I headed down. Calm as can be. Only. I didn't know that this time the warnings were so significant. While I was pulling pajamas over the body of a wriggly baby Jim Robertson's dealership was being torn apart. Car by car. Flipping. Dumping. Smashing. Then the Lakeside neighborhood where all the fancy homes are. Ripped to shreds. Then the street of Bobwhite lined with duplex's. Homes invaded. All while I sauntered slowly down the stairs into my basement. So fast. Lives in upheaval. Turned on a dime. So fast. Some friends of ours called to see if they could come hang out in our basement should any more storms occur. To me it was just like having some friends over on a regular Wednesday night. Playing Wii, watching the news, talking. All while the people just north of us were watching their lives unravel in the blink of an eye. The news station was out so we were getting zero information. Rumors were spreading like wildfire by cell phone. Making sure the ones we are closest too were fine. And they all were. Minus a few shingles, and being separated from a child for the evening. Everyone was alive. And fine. At 10:00 after our kids were tucked safely in their beds because the storm threat was gone, the news station was back running local news. They were interviewing a few victims. One man and woman were glad to be alive. When they interviewed the owner of Jim Robertson dealership, the anchor man said "At least you are all alive, right?" The owner paused. And he had this look on his face. Then he said, "Yeah, but...." and then he backed away from the camera. I finished his sentence in my head. "yeah, but everything I've worked my entire life to build. All the hours I've put in making this dealership successful. All the paperwork, employees, my lively hood. Gone. We are alive, but everything is gone." That is what I would have wanted to say. Ethan was talking to me this morning and saying how it's okay because they all still have their jobs and they can just pay to put everything back together. So simple. In my mind it isn't about the money. It's the invasion. How one minute all is well and then poof. Gone. Invaded. Destroyed. Everything you've worked your whole life to build up is taken away. Do you have the energy to spend the rest of your life re-building what you had already spent so much time building the first time? Frustrating. Sad. Overwhelming. The town is really rallying together to help those directly affected. I was just in Walmart and everyone knows what I know. Everyone I passed looked into my eyes with that same knowing look. We are okay. But there are those that aren't. Somber. That is the word I'd use to describe today. The day after disaster. Somber.



Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
11 comments:
The house we were supposed to move to in 6 weeks was one of the ones destroyed. But, my heart aches for those who were living there already. I count my blessings that we weren't there. I can only imagine how people are. One of the joys of a small town--when tradegy strikes, everyone comes together to help.
I'm so sorry. Poor Kirksville. I'm glad you're safe, but that's terrible. Really terrible.
I'm so relieved you guys weren't hit! Thanks for the post--I've been thinking about Kirksville all day.
This post should have a warning on it. I'm reading it at work, on my lunch hour. The bus kids just showed up, how do I explain the tears in my eyes?
I'm so glad you're all safe, strong, and able to help those less fortunate. Big hugs.
That's so wierd...I had a nightmare two nights ago that our house was destroyed by a tornado (in the 18 months we've lived in the DFW area we've had several warnings - including last week). And, in the dream, and perhaps in real life, I didn't know what we should do. The kids were begging to move to somewhere safer. And I was trying to figure out where that could ever be...if it's not tornadoes it's earthquakes or wildfires or hurricanes....
I'm so glad that your family was safe! There aren't basements here, and although they don't guarantee anything, it would make me feel a bit more protected.
I'm so glad you updated us all! I was going to be calling you soon to see if everyone was alright.
I agree, somber is the perfect description!
Wow. I'm speechless. I can't even imagine the feelings that would flood my life if I were in a similar situation. Somber would definitely be right up there.
I'm glad you and your family are safe ans secure, and I will be thinking about those who are not and keeping them in my prayers.
Jayne,
I'm so glad you all are okay. I have been thinking about you guys all day. It was terrible for us to think that just two and a half years ago we live in a house that would have been so very close to where the tornado hit. We have worried about our friends still there all day. How very scary.
My sister called me to tell me about it. I called Nan Davis, but no word. This is helpful to know everyone is OK. I can't imagine how terrifyig it would be to be the one separated from your child during something like that. Glad YOU are OK!!!
I didn't know until Thursday morning when I was watching the news. I saw the video of the tornado and then I saw Kirksville and then I thought it may be somewhere else then I realized it is kirksville, MO. Then I got worried. I talked to my dad and he said you were all safe! I am so happy you are all okay!
And to think, all Keith and I were worried about was that we couldn't watch Lost! That was the last thing on our minds after we heard what had happened not far from us!!! I'm pretty sure that Heavenly Father had a hand in keeping so many young families on Bobwhite safe. I'm so glad more lives were not taken. You are always so good at putting into words what everyone is thinking.
Post a Comment