Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fishy Fishy....

Swim team finished up for the school year with a banquet. It was full of food, fun, and awards. I'm so impressed with the way this team is organized. They have a great system worked out. Ethan was awarded the "hip flip" award because he's apparently mastered his flip-turn in the pool. Ethan has become a good little swimmer in a very short amount of time. However, he refuses to compete. (Deep water and him don't seem to get along. Regardless of his skill level.) Because he doesn't compete he's losing his drive. There is nothing compelling him to become stronger or faster. I'm hoping one day he'll get over his phobia and start swimming against the other little fishies. But, for now, I guess we'll just chalk it up to exercise. If I can get him to continue on a team once we move.

3 comments:

Danelle said...

Way to go you hip flipper!

I hope he conquers his fear, as well. I love to swim, my mom is terrified of water...I think my summers are so much more fun than hers. She grew up with such a horrible phobia of the water, that she made sure all of her children learned to swim at very young ages, I'm proud of her for that.

Competition really is a good thing, when handled correctly. Good luck to Ethan.

Anonymous said...

I don't think we are going to do swim meets this year either. My kids don't enjoy them at all and I figure they just have fun improving threir skills and getting good excercise. I am still suprised that Timothy even wants to do it this year at all. I wasn't going to push him to do it at all this year but it was his idea to continue. Weird huh?

Good luck. I think its a great skill to have even if it is in shallow water.

katelyn said...

i'm terrified of deep water. i still get in it, but i hate to be in it when i'm alone.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.