Last Thursday I was asked a question by Ethan. I was puttering around the kitchen trying to get dinner together, and he was leaned up against the counter all mature like. He had his arms leaning back and his legs crossed all casual. "Mom. I have a question for you. I don't know if you know how to answer it. Or, even if you are willing to answer it for me. But. I'm going to ask it anyway. There is this girl in my class that I like. How would I go about telling her that I like her and finding out if she likes me back?" I paused, but pretended like he'd just asked if I would make him a grilled cheese sandwich instead of how to portray his love. "Well. You could write her a note and just tell her you think she is cute. Are you wanting her to be your girlfriend or to just let her know you like her?" Good thing I wasn't hooked up to a heart monitor or my true nature would have been given away. "Probably a little of both." Not wanting this type of conversation ever to be forbidden in this household, and never wanting him to fear coming to me for answers I let out "Valentine's day is coming up. Maybe you could get her 2 pieces of candy instead of 1. Or, make her a special card to go along with the candy." "Hmm. Those are good ideas. I was thinking I could write her a note telling her I liked her, ask her if she likes me back and have her circle yes or no?" "Good idea Ethan." I didn't let him know that that is what I used to do when I was his age. Or that I even liked boys back then. I didn't make a huge lecture out of it like I sooo easily could have. Open communication. That is what I'm going with here. Hopefully it won't come back to bite me as we both age into this teen-year thing.
Friday he came home from school and said "I did it Mom. Here, you can read it." The note was on your typical 3-hole-blue-lined paper. It read:
To: (girls name) From: Ethan
I really like you, and I was wondering if you like me. Circle your answer, then hand this sheet to me.
a. a lot
b. a little
c. in the middle
d. none of the above
She had circled b. I think by the looks of this note that my son has taken many tests in his short life. Who gives the none-of-the-above option in this scenario? If it's none of the above, then what the heck is it? I didn't critique his professed love. I only put it in his third grade file for his future wife to one day view. So she can know that even back in third grade he was very straightforward, serious, to the point, and knew how to write test questions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
10 comments:
Oh man! That is so funny Eric and I can't stop laughing. I hope I'm as composed when I get into that situation in future years. Good work. At least it was b and not a.
That is so funny--I loved it! At least she circled "a little," think how crushing it would have been to get a none of the above! And great job on playing it cool--I'm impressed!
That made me laugh! I hope the relationship between the two of them works out! haha
That's cute and funny at the same time. I'm sure it won't be to long in the future before J. gives me that same kind of scenario. I hope I handle it as well as you did. Way to go Mom!
So cute! Oh, his wife is going to love that!
Oh...my...gosh...that is the funniest thing ever! How cute that he would come to you in the FIRST place! What an inspiration you are to me, Jayne!
Kids notes have gotten complicated: I only needed two boxes!! Great story!
Okay. I'm actually crying!
So cute! I sure miss you guys. Sad you're not coming back here but glad you have to come visit your family sometime!
oh man who knew that little story would be as heartwarming as the novel I just read. I remember "my first love" in third grade. I made him an extra special valentine and everyone caught on and teased me about it. His way was much more discreet.
Post a Comment