Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spic And Span...

My house is clean. Most of the time. When people come over it is rare that there is a ginormous mess awaiting them. (I guess I should clarify upstairs. Downstairs is kid-domain). I vacuum. I mop. I constantly wipe counters and sweep. And, I shut a lot of doors. This helps keep the kid-domain areas out of any onlookers eyesight. Closets. Man. The bane of my existence. Cleaning them anyway. That is my secret to keeping this house clean. I just place things on some random shelf behind a door that doesn't need to be opened, and the house appears clean. I feel good about that. I always have. Until this month. I knew it was coming. When putting a house up for sale, apparently people like to open those closet doors. All of them. That is 5 clothing closets, 3 bathroom linen closets, front entry coat closet, laundry room closet, basement toy closet, and one ginormous storage room under the porch. That is a lot of closets to hide things in. That is forgetting all the kitchen cupboards completely. After speaking with the realtor Monday it was decided that Saturday would be the day he came to take pictures and place the house on the market. That gives me 5 days and then until noon on Saturday to completely scour this house. And don't forget painting that new mantle Shawn installed while he was home last weekend. Oh. And Presley has RSV. Well, not diagnosed RSV. But the same symptoms. Which means Albuterol treatments every 6 hours amidst countless coughing spells which lead to spewing, which in turn gives me more to clean up. And the needing to be held issue. Wow. No wonder I've been eating everything in sight the last few days. I'm obviously a stress eater. Yesterday morning I wised up while I was in the shower. As I looked at the soap scum build up under my feet and trailing the shower doors (I also hate cleaning showers) it occurred to me that maybe I couldn't do it alone. The closets could only be done by me. But. The shower? I found a cleaning lady on a good recommendation and gave her a call. Cutest Chinese lady I have ever spoken with. After I arranged for her to come, I found myself more stressed than I was previously. Why? I was feeling the need to clean before she came. I continuously had to hold myself back and remind myself that I was paying her to do this job. Not hiring her to critique the mess I've gotten myself into. Still. After I sent the kids off to school, regardless of the fact I was functioning on a broken 5 hours of sleep, I still scrubbed the kitchen sink. And cleaned 5 kitchen cupboards. I started on the girls room when she arrived. I showed her the infamous shower, she shook her little head and giggled. Mentioning how much work this was going to be. Only when she said it I didn't cringe. I giggled alongside her. Mostly because then I was able to turn on my heels and leave her to all the nitty-gritty work. I went back and worked on the girls room some more. Cleaned a few more kitchen cupboards. Made lunch. Made sugar cookie dough and the frosting. And all the while fumes of deep cleaning were wafting in the air. It was like I had just pushed a button labeled "clean" and walked out of the room. It was cleaning itself. With the help of one adorable little woman. After the shower was scrubbed and I had given my approval, she finished up my bathroom while her helper worked on the main bathroom. I drove Jack to preschool and when I returned they were finished. I couldn't stop smiling as I signed a check for her. Best money ever spent. So, why was I so scared to have her come? Was it the fact that when someone is cleaning your house they are actually seeing inside your soul? Because it lets them see what you are like on the surface, and what you are like deep inside? They can see what is deemed high on the ladder of importance and what things are obviously neglected? Probably all of the above. Not to even speak about the whole "I can do it all myself" phenomenon us women put ourselves through. Well, I'm glad I stepped out of my little comfort zone box and hired this job out. I actually feel lighter today. My stress level has definitely decreased. My only regret? I didn't have them clean the downstairs bathroom.

9 comments:

Puhlman said...

That made me tired just reading it. With five kids I can relate to the house and not having the energy to keep up with it. Right before we moved Don was SO busy with work I had to pratcially pack the entire house by myself. Then when we moved into our new place he left for 2 months on business and I had to unpack it all. OH HOW TIRING. Now the trick is going to be trying to keep your place clean with the kids home all weekend. Not an easy tack on our part. Good luck.

Ann Michelle said...

Jayne,

I'm glad you were able to get some help. I hope Presely get well very soon- it's the pits having to give breathing treatments and worry about your little one like that all the time. Good luck in getting ready to move. If I was still in kirksville I'd offer to help!

Natalie said...

Once again, inspirational!! I am proud of you! Seriously, I know that wasn't an easy thing for you to surrender!

Becca said...

Good for you--we all need to realize that we shouldn't do it all ourselves. I wish I was there, I would totally come and clean cupboards with you.

Audrey said...

So, do you ever watch Everybody Loves Raymond? Derek and I laugh so hard at that show because so many of the ideas expressed fit us so perfectly. The last episode I saw started off with her furiously cleaning the house while he tried to watch the game. She was trying to get him to work with her and he said, "Why do we have to have the fake house when people come?" She said, "What do you mean?" He said, "You know, the fake, clean house. This isn't how our house normally looks." She replied that if it were up to her it would always look that way.
I feel that way. If there was no one living here messing up this house, it would be beautiful all the time, but then I have to remind myself that the reason it's messy is because I have the opportunity to be at home with these beautiful little kids and teach and play. Visually it's hard to see the imperfections, but mentally it all adds up.
And, I read your 25 list on Facebook and I'm getting a bit scared about how many things we have in common. Are you sure we aren't best friends?

Lindsay said...

We are trying to sell our house too. we are moving to Sweden. I have been so stressed out and overwhelmed. I don't even know where to start. I am getting a cleaning lady too.

Tisha said...

Good for you! No one can understand how stressful it is keeping your house on THAT level of clean when it's on the market until they have actually had to do it. NOT FUN! I am so glad you have someone helping you. If you sell your house ahead of time you guys are welcome to come move in with us!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Linked over from FB...can I just say, I hope the house sells quick. We are in house #5 (which means we have had 4 that we have had to sell) and there are few things I hate more than HAVING to keep my house spotless 24/7. Of course the realtors would always say, "Oh, people understand that you have kids." Hmmm. They might. But we want them to fall in love with the house...not be distracted by the lingering poopy diaper smell from 3 hours ago. I loved it when the feedback was "they have HOW many kids? We couldn't even tell." GOOD LUCK.

Raquel said...

Really Jayne, call her back and get that other one taken care of.
I would ask if she can cook dinner too! Why not!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.