Friday, February 27, 2009

Contractual Agreement....

Our house has been on the market for almost 2 weeks. We've shown it a handful of times. Every time it is shown I need to be absent. Meaning, I need to entertain a few kids for at least an hour. Sounds easy? It's costing me a fortune. Small town USA only has a Walmart to browse, a Burger King play place, and a library. We usually do lunch, then wander walmart. But I always end up spending money. Usually in the form of bribes. Wednesday there were 2 showings back to back which meant an extra long outing. Luckily it was during the school day so I only had Presley and Landon to contend with. The showings started at 1 and I was a little late backing out of my garage. The viewers arrived a little early and parked on the street in front of my mailbox. I waved as I sized them up. Then it kind of hit me. Those people. They could be moving into my space if they chose to. Running down my halls, sleeping in my room, hanging clothes in my closets. I kind of choked up a little. I have so many memories of this home I live in. We have made it our very own and I don't like the thought of someone else taking it over like they own it. I got over it quickly when I heard they actually put in an offer. Only it was seriously low-ball. The realtor told me that they were all set to build. They would offer no more than what they were offering, no reason to counter-offer. Shawn and I mulled it over. Because I was the only one actually talking to the realtor due to Shawn's absence, I needed his words of wisdom to get me through this. Shawn felt like our asking price was the lowest he was willing to go. We hashed it out. And we declined the offer. We told the realtor that we appreciated the offer from a buyers standpoint, but no thank you. We were fully aware that 6 months down the road this decision could very well be regretted, but because we recognized that, we felt good about our decision. That was kind of hard for me. To let the buyers walk away. Only because I realize how the economy is. We are kind of insulated from the nastiness of serious foreclosures, but we aren't immune to it. It's a buyers market out there. We are in a unique position that we would be fine if we had to hang onto this house for awhile. But we don't want to. Shawn had complete faith that we would be fine. And at 10 am Thursday morning the realtor called to tell me that they were going to give us full asking price and the closing date we wanted. June 22nd. Man. I'm glad I have Shawn on my side. He is so calm. I'm a lunatic. If I had been completely in charge we would have lost out on the full price benefit. I don't feel as settled as I think I should feel. Maybe because the inspection is Monday morning. This house is only 3 1/2 years old so I'm not foreseeing any major issues. But you never know. My mom said I won't feel settled until we've purchased our new home, moved in, and closed on this one. She's probably right. I am sad to see this home go. It's not just a house to me. It is a home. I hope the people who are buying it will love it like we have. And that we find a new house that we can make into a home. Different phases of life bring about a lot of change. I guess I better get used to it. This is only the beginning.

12 comments:

Lyndsey said...

our house sold 6 months ago and i still miss it, daily actually. but then i haven't gotten into a new one and I HATE APARTMENTS but you will always have fond memories of your first home, or second if you count your condo....

Kimber said...

Hooray! You are so blessed to have sold it this way. I hope you find one you love just as much or more!

ps I'm so jealous of your playlist. I might have to switch over to blogspot just so I can have a playlist.

rebecca said...

Wow!! Congratulations on a quick sell!!! Way to stick out for the asking price:) BTW, I loved your house too! It always felt so homey when I was hanging out at your house whether it was with my kids, too, or just us girls:) Good memories :)

Becca said...

WOW!! It's just one more bit of proof that this major life change is the right one for your family and that you are being taken care of. We keep thinking about moving, but I struggle with letting go of our home where we raised our family. Stay tuned for more on that one....

Susan said...

Congratulations to you and Shawn! I think I would be nervous, too, but obviously it was the right thing to do.

Natalie said...

Congratulations again!

Ashley said...

Holy Canole, houses in the ville are movin' quick! I'm so relieved that it worked out for you, yay! I have this reasonable fear we won't be able to sell ours. It's weird to think of that town with out you. It may just crumble without the Crooks.

K.E.N said...

HURRAY!!! Good news!

Matt and Beth said...

Jayne,
I am so happy for you guys. We have had our house on the market for almost 2 years. I am so ready to get an offer and be done!! Hopefully very soon.

Judaloo said...

CONGRATS!!! That is soooo awesome. We had tow people look this week, but not any buyers. Oh well. I know someone will come along some day and fall in love with it. I just hope it is before July 1!

DeGooyer Family said...

Congratulations!!! I can totally relate to the leaving-the-house thing - glad it's over, huh?!

Rebecca Pierce said...

I know how you feel. Ruby took the real estate flyer from our house that we lived in for four years two years ago (following still?) and glued it to her wall above her bed. I still miss that house, but I mostly just miss the $1,000 more that we pay to have a roof over our head in the house we are in now. Argh.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.