Wednesday, September 3, 2008
The Replacements.....
I admit it. When I was in high school I was addicted to Beverly Hills 90210. Fiercely addicted. So were my friends. We tried to watch it together whenever it was possible. If not together, then we watched separately and just talked about it continuously the next day. We loved watching teens our own age struggle with an entirely different lifestyle. Drugs, living alone, intimate relationships, and of course lots and lots of money. We probably enjoyed the show because it was so different than our reality. Seems like every cast member had some sort of dysfunctional life hidden beneath beauty and riches. The cast was our age---they graduated in '93 with us. They went to college with us. I was actually married before the series finale took place. I think out of all the years it played I missed maybe 3 episodes. I sometimes like to catch re-runs now and again when I'm folding laundry. Pathetic, I know. (At least I know it's pathetic.) My reasoning for this flashback is due to the show that aired last night on the CW. It's called 90210. They did away with the Beverly Hills part of the title. Yes, it is a remake of the original. I was so curious I couldn't resist watching. It was interesting to see these kids lives play out. Similar lifestyles as the old cast, but this cast seems so-----young. Probably because they are. The original cast was played by 20 somethings so they were older than me in real life. This fresh cast is played by people that are actually the age of the kids they are portraying. And, in reality, I'm old. I found myself not at all enjoying what these teens were up to, but rather wondering how in the world I'd handle the situations as a parent. Took the fun right out of the show for me. Kelly & Brenda both have cameo appearances and I found myself more curious about their lives. Kelly is a single mom. Who's the father? Dylan? Brandon? Is Brenda single by choice? I guess in theory this might have been a fun show to re-produce. In my opinion? Some things shouldn't be messed with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
4 comments:
I have to catch the rerun--we'll see if it is a keeper.
I watched it too!! I couldn't resist. Good Luck with the new little one. I can't wait to see pictures! Mist
Since I wasn't allowed to watch TV during weekdays growing up, I didn't find my 90210 addiction until I was a young stay at home mom. There were two episodes on back-to-back every morning on FX. I think I was to embarrassed at the time to admit that to anyone--turns out I should have, we would have had lots to talk about!
Seriously I couldn't agree more with you~I was terribly dissapointed! They should just do another reunion show with the original cast. I have seen every episode and celebrated with them on everything. My best friend and I would get cake for graduation, birthdays etc. I was totally addicted to 90210. However, I don't think I will have any addiction problems with the new version. I felt the same as you-holy crap I would have a loteral cow if Marlee ever did those things. Crazy huh!
Wishing the best, fastest and painfree delivery ever. You'll do great I am sure!
Post a Comment