Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Amnesia....
Labor hurts. Almost everyone on the entire planet Earth knows that. Except me. Because I forgot. You think going at this the 5th time around I would know what to expect. Not me. I really truly didn't think it was going to hurt this time. I have memories of sweet epidural taking my pain away, but not of the pain itself. It wasn't until noon when every contraction brought tears to my eyes that I vaguely began to remember that labor was indeed that---labor. I also forgot how true exhaustion feels. The kind where at 4 am when you are up for the 4th time your head is throbbing, your body aches, and it takes what seems like an eternity to drag yourself off the bed into the living room to feed someone who insists that eating every few hours is necessary. Complete exhaustion that sometimes brings tears to your eyes because crying seems to be the only release you get. I forgot. But, I also forgot how easy it is to sit on the couch and watch a newborns facial expressions for hours without it getting old. I forgot about the giant lion sized stretch with the baby's back curled and their bum sticking out and how sweet it is to cuddle that little body up when it's done stretching. I forgot how easy it is to fall in love over and over again with this new little person that is now considered mine. I forgot. I'm glad I get to remember it all again. I'm putting these memories deep in the recesses of my brain so I don't forget ever again these precious moments that pass with the blink of an eye.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
7 comments:
I totally hear you...as i am having a cruel reminder of just how much i really hate moring sickness....
I forget every time. I really want to remember what a newborn smells like though. That is heaven on earth!
Presley is breathtaking. I can't wait to see her in real life. I hope you're doing well!
Such a touching and perfectly worded post--you're so good at capturing all those emotions.
You'll have to let me know the tricks of loving those first few weeks... because those make me not want to have any more kids.
Just reading this post makes me want to have another baby - right now!!! (Don't tell Brett.) =)
I am so glad you ended that post positively. I may have reconsidered more kids. I love all of those things, and my eyes teared up right with yours. I am amazed we do this to ourselves when it is SO dang hard, but yet those moments somehow keep our eyes open and dry. You are amazing! As always, thanks for being so real.
Ok, so now I'm baby hungry and I still have a baby (going on toddler, but still a baby). I miss chatting with you--you have a way with words and you always make me smile! On the next time around I will have to check back here and remember why we do this ;)
Post a Comment