That was the smile I was after all day. He blew out the candles with as much force as a 2 year old can muster. What?! I get ice cream too? That was the excitement I had been begging of him.
After filling his belly with the good stuff I told him we had presents. I didn't think he'd even know what to do with wrapped packages. He picked them up and tore into them like he was a pro. He got a "Mouse Cookie Book" and a racetrack. Looks like birthdays aren't all that bad are they Landon.


After tucking the birthday boy into bed I was reflecting on why a birthday would be so traumatic. It occurred to me the conversations I'd been having with him lately. "Landon, you are getting to be a big boy and big boys don't need pacifiers. Soon you will have to get rid of it." Or, "Big boys don't suck on pacifiers. We are going to have to quit pretty soon." Then to hear "Happy Birthday Landon! You are such a big boy now!" Birthday + Big Boy = No more pacifier for me. I hate birthdays. If I ignore it maybe it won't really be my birthday and I can always have my pacifier. I can't help but wonder if my little 2 year old is smart enough to come to this conclusion. If I hadn't seen Ethan come to similar conclusions early on I'd pass it by as coincidence. Birthdays aren't traumatic, but thinking you are going to lose your most favorite possession in the entire world because of a birthday is traumatic. Don't worry buddy. I think I might be as addicted to that thing as you are.
16 comments:
I personally think it's OK to have a pacifier till you're 5 or 6 if you want. I did, and I turned out fine. Jayne, you're such a good mother. You did such a good job at making his birthday happy. (And that connection he made between birthdays and no pacifiers, in psychology it's called classical conditioning--like that experiment where the dog would salivate after hearing a bell ring because he had always heard a bell whenever food was served to him. same thing.)
That cake looks delicious...no wonder why he came around.
Happy Birthday Landon its so hard to believe he is already 2
Jayne i love your blog and your are such a great mom....
Happy Birthday Landon! Your cake was awesome! How did you do it?
He is so cute! I would not put it past him to have that same thought process- little minds are amazing! He is such a big boy! LOVED the cake! You are so great!
Happy b-day boy! I can't believe that he's 2. He was just a baby when we moved here. Time flies!
I am seriously impressed with your cake! Is there any left?
Happy Birthday Landon!!!!! :) Yeah! You're 2! I just can't believe it....I just can't! I hope your day was fantastic!!!
The basement is moving along! :) We are painting this weekend and then we move on to trim, finishing touches, carpet, etc.!
I really can't believe he's 2!!!! Wow...such a sweet birthday boy!
Cool cake! Jayne, he looks a lot like Ben to me. Do other people tell you that. Hope you are doing well.
I second what everyone else said, "great cake & great mom".
I loved it! I remember when you started weaning Ethan off the pacifier and it was just as traumatic for him. If I had to guess, I would say that it will be quite a while before Landon is actually forced to give up his favorite possession--after all he is your baby and I'll bet that you want to keep him that way for as long as you can!
Happy birthday, cute little Landon! I forget that he isn't much younger than Karson! That Landon just gets cuter and cuter if that's possible! If it makes you feel any better, Karson is still a bottle baby! I'm ready to have him take them all to Toys R Us and use them to buy his own toy! But I'm not ready to hear him crying for that baba!!
I forgot my nephews birthday!! what kind of an aunt am I???? I am glad it turned out good for him.
Wow, has he always looked that much like Ethan? Good luck with the pacifier.
I can't believe the cuddly little guy is two! Maybe it's just the age because on Emma's 2nd birthday she ran around saying "No Two, No Two" all day!
Happy Birthday Landon! You are such a good mother. That cake is awesome. I love how you write about your kids. You are very wise, Jayne. I've learned a lot from you about being a good mother.
Post a Comment