Sunday, November 18, 2007

Unintentional compliments....

Sometimes the best compliments paid are those that are given unintentionally. My daughter Kennedy is great at these. Mostly because she's a kid and doesn't realize what she's saying. The other day she was with the neighbor girl Abby in our living room. They were talking and kept referring to Abby's mom by her first name. I asked Abby why she called her mom by her name instead of referring to her as mom. Both girls started giggling. Throughout the giggles I managed to squeeze out an answer.
K: We pretend that we are sisters in real life and she isn't Abby's mom, you are.
A: You are the mom to both of us because we are sisters.
Me: Oh. Why did I get to be the one that is the mom?
K: Because you are better.
Then they went on their merry way. My daughter unintentionally told me I'm a great mom and worthy to be the mother of her choosing. Even though it was unintentional, I'll take what I can get. Great day.

7 comments:

Lyndsey said...

that is darling and i hope you cherish those moments. see even if you fall asleep you are a great mom!

Becca said...

I'm glad they picked you and I also hope that Kennedy's friends mom doesn't know about your blog. I agree with Lyndsey about the sleep thing--but wait, maybe falling asleep is what makes you a great mom. There's some food for thought!

Jodie B. said...

That is too cute! Remember that in a few years when she is a teenager!! It should help get through so tough moments.

rebecca said...

O.K. I'm tearing up a bit over this one. That is the sweetest compliment a child could give a mother! Hopefully the mother who took her child home as you slept is reading this just to see you are the best :)

Ruth Harper Gough said...

Oh Jayne. For what it's worth I think you're the best mom too. Smart girls, they got it right!

Melissa said...

I agree with the girlies! Don't tell that other mom though...

Rebecca S said...

I'd pick you too Jayne! If you were my mom, I know you'd pack me a snack to eat during church, right?

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.