Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bucking Tradition.....

I'm sad. Sad because the realization that this holiday season is going to be anything but "traditional" for me. Shawn is working a 48 hour shift starting the morning of Thanksgiving. "We've got to pay for Christmas somehow". I've got people to be with, and food to eat, so I don't feel sorry for myself. Just sad that this year Shawn won't be around to enjoy it with. Which brings me to Christmas. All growing up my most favorite Christmas tradition was the opening of pajamas on Christmas Eve. My mom would always wrap them in different paper than everything else so she could find them when it came time to open them. Or, she'd put some kind of hidden marking somewhere so she knew secretly which ones held the pajamas. Every year we'd ask "what time are we opening our pj's mom?" Every year she'd reply "what makes you think you are getting any this year? Maybe I'm not doing that anymore." Sometimes she'd be sneaky and when it came time to open our one gift Christmas Eve she'd let us choose the gift. We'd pick whatever we wanted, open it, and assume this was that year. Except then she'd say, "okay. One more. But I get to choose." Even though there was little surprise to this tradition, it was always my favorite. Maybe it was the comfort of knowing my Mom was predictable and loved us enough to do the same thing year after year because she knew we loved it. Whatever it was, it's my most absolute favorite tradition ever. I even got pajamas every Christmas after I was married until we stopped going to Idaho to celebrate the holiday. Pretty much anyone that sleeps in my Mom's house Christmas Eve will open pajamas. Even though most of us our married. And my brother Matt is too tall to fit into anything picture worthy. Lovely tradition. That is why I'm sad. This tradition is not going to be at my house this year. It has been around since Ethan was little. Almost 8 years I've either made or bought new pj's for my kids to unwrap the night before Santa visits. This year I'm being practical. Ethan and Jackson are like furnaces at night and prefer to sleep in tighty-whities than anything else. Kennedy grows so fast she gets new pajamas often enough that there is no novelty. And Landon. His drawers are crammed with remnants of Christmas past. Why should I spend money on something my kids will wear one night, then never again. If I had excessive amounts of money this probably wouldn't be an issue. But I don't. Is it crazy for me to buck tradition on practicality? As I've made up my mind, and am typing this up, Kennedy walks in. I ask her what her most favorite tradition our family has every Christmas. Her response? "Opening presents. Like the pajamas we get on Christmas Eve." I'm secretly smiling that practicality cannot win out this year. It wouldn't be fair to yank a memory of childhood. My children seem to love this tradition as much as I did as a kid. Traditions. I guess the good ones aren't allowed to change.

11 comments:

Rebecca S said...

Does that mean you ARE going to do pajamas?

jayne said...

Yes. I am!

Audrey said...

I think that the traditions are what make the holidays so wonderful. Traditions often are practical, but who cares, they are the tie that binds right? I love to make tons of sweets and distribute them, it's not practical with two children, but it's fun to do and it's a TRADITION!

Becca said...

I'm glad that you are doing PJ's, it wouldn't be right to end a tradition just to be practical. Besides, practical isn't fun and as you may recall from an earlier post, you are the fun mom--you've got a reputation to live up to!

Anonymous said...

I was telling mom this story right as I finished reading it. When I got to the part about cancelling the pajamas, she looked like she was about to cry. Until we reached the end and found that you couldn't give in to practicality. Mom suggested just getting lightweight pajama bottoms for the boys.

Natalie said...

Do you remember Under-roos? Your boys would be comfy in those!

Lyndsey said...

i spent half of my blsck friday shopping for a set of PJs for Max and Brian. I didn't find that perfect pair yet but I will! :) You can't give up on it!! just go cheap!! or buy new underwear that they will love....underroos!!

Lyndsey said...

I just Natalies message after I wrote mine...so she must be great, to think the same as me.:)

Laurissa said...

Maybe you could wrap up some of their old pajamas. Just kidding. You would never live it down.

Rebecca Pierce said...

You have to do your pajamas! Kennedy saves the day! Can I say again that I LOVE your mom? When you write about her, I can live it because it is so her. I miss her! I love the feeling in your parents' home. Love your dad too. I remember once when he drove me to drop me off at the bus stop after I'd visited and I actually cried just saying goodbye to he and Matt because Lynz was already at school or something. Anyway, even though I have my folks' house and my inlaws house to be my home away from home, there is another home I like just as well in IF.

Rebecca Pierce said...

Lynz...Hanahandersson.com or gymboree.com have family PJ's that match.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.