Ellis Island was great. We got on the boat to take us there at 3:30 so we didn't have much time. We were told we could either get off at the Statue of Liberty, or Ellis Island, but not both. We opted to take pictures of Lady Liberty (as Kennedy calls her) from the boat, and then tour Ellis Island. Good Decision. My mom is teaching her next unit on Ellis Island to her 6th graders so she was excited to get actual pictures of the place. It was really neat inside to see where they herded all the immigrants before they were allowed into the good ol' U S of A. It was humbling to be on my side as a tourist and not as someone having to go through a major ordeal just to live in a free country.
We got back onto the subway and decided shopping needed to be next on our destination list. We hit a few stores, bought a few things, and then it happened. I found
my true love. H & M. I've always heard about this store but never stepped inside one before. My life is forever changed. We spent a really long time there, spent way too much money, and then headed back to our hotel. Because of frequent stops at various street vendors throughout the afternoon we opted to skip dinner. We decided the next day to hit Canal street for cheap shopping, Chinatown, Little Italy, and maybe Ground Zero. I woke up early (due to our sleeping arrangement) and after I was ready to go the other 2 were still cozy under the covers. I headed out to find us some breakfast. Right on Madison out the front door of our hotel it looked like Canal Street had come to us. They
had the entire road blocked off from 49th down to 42nd with nothing but street vendors selling everything and anything. I walked the length of the street and when I hit 42nd I ran into an amazing sight. It was some kind of mini-race, maybe a 5k or something, with every country represented. Italy ran by with their flag, then France, then the USA, and so forth. I only watched for 5 minutes, but it was actually breathtaking. Turns out it was in honor of the Olympic Trials going on around Central Park that same morning. I found a Starbucks for bagels and hot chocolate and headed back to rally the troops. We ended up spending at least 3 hours with the street vendors, and made 3 trips back to our room with bags of stuff. What a perfect morning. Since Canal Street came to us, we decided to just scan through it and make
China Town and Little Italy our actual destination. Subway time. Only the subway that would take us to every destination was under construction. A little panic sets in, but we eventually find our way. We ate at a quaint little restaurant right in the heart of Little Italy, and by then were ready to head back to our hotel to get ready for Lion King. We talked to some other crazy tourists and decided it was safe to let them take our picture together. Safely back at our hotel we were exhausted. We decided to take a little rest until our Broadway experience. We hung out for about an hour and then decided we should see Times Square at night. The billboards are unbelievably large. Everything was so bright. I knew it was dark outside, but hard to believe because the streets were so bright. People were everywhere and it was really fun to just stand and see how many people you can possibly cram onto one city sidewalk. Unbelievable. I have to say that I never felt afraid for my life. I always thought that I'd be scared walking down the streets way past my bedtime, but I felt pretty safe.
We stopped in the M&M store to get a little treat to help us hold out for
dinner until after the play. 9 bucks a pound. They sure know how to stick it to the tourists. Finally time for the play. I've been wanting to see Lion King on Broadway for 10 years. I remember the week it opened Rosie O'Donnell had them perform the first number on her daytime show. I was hooked and couldn't wait to one day see the r
est. Just seeing the billboard was exciting. The theater was a fun experience. Sadly, the only shows I've ever seen have been put on by high schools or colleges. This was amazing. We were actually in the very back row, but could still see and hear perfectly. I can't even describe the special effects of this production without tainting the beauty. Definitely a must see. Show ended at 11:30 and we ate McDonald's for dinner. It was the only place that didn't have an hour wait, and we were starving. Back to the hotel to semi-sleep. The next day we had to check out, so we had to get a move on. We stored our luggage with the bell-hop once again and headed on the subway to Central Park. 1st stop: Museum of Natural History. This was a pretty cool place. My mom & I expected it to look exactly like "Night at the Museum" and kept comparing the exhibits to what the movie portrayed. Yes, we need something tangible to learn.
After the museum we walked around the park. It happened to be the day of the New York Marathon which I think is the shebang of all marathons. I couldn't believe the hoards of people. The runners were near the end and still running in packs, there were that many of them. It was fun to witness. Then we found the outside of the Metropolitan Museum of Art but didn't actually go inside. Pictures on the stairs would have to do.
Before we even left for New York, my friend Natalie let me in on a little secret. Serendipity. A quaint little restaurant in the upper east side that creates the most spectacular frozen hot chocolate. We were told it was a ways from Central Park and motorized transportation would be best. We opted for our feet to get us there instead. It took us over 2 hours. The walk was fun
We so wanted to see more, but it was getting dark due to the time change, so decided to head back to the familiar territory of Times Square. We got on a subway planning to stop at 49th to see Rockefeller Center on the way back to our hotel. I honestly don't know how we survived these subway adventures. When we got out of the subway and back onto the street we were amazed and surprised at where 49th actually was. It was on the other side of the M&M store we had been to the previous evening. Unexpected. We should not have been that surprised. I'm glad we are still alive and not stuck on the subway system today. We saw the famous ice skating rink, then headed back to our hotel to claim our luggage.
We debated on a taxi, but didn't want to spend the money. After all the food we ate over the course of 3 days we decided we could walk. Over 11 blocks, up 3 and we were back where it all had begun the 1st day we arrived---Penn Station. We were taking a train back to Jersey where my cousin Shelly would dine us and give us luxury treatment in her home before she chauffeured us back to the airport the next morning.
This trip was fun for a variety of reasons. 1-no kids. Just adult women being crazy in a city.
2-time with 2 girls I can't get enough of. We are all 3 so much alike it's scary. My mom opened her make-up bag the 1st morning and not only are our bags identical, they contain the same brand and type of moisturizer, mascara, deodorant, and soap. We haven't lived together in 15 years. Kate's were also the same. Funny. At times we were laughing so hard we almost literally peed our pants. We all ordered the exact same thing at restaurants. We all decided we don't enjoy sleeping the wrong way in a bed. 3-I found that we small town girls can get by in the big city without getting lost even if the subway is under construction. 4-H&M. That says it all. and 5-Nothing but good times. I could go on and on about this trip (not like I already haven't). Thanks Mom & Kate for letting me join you on this adventure. I can't wait until the next one. Lyndsey, I hope you can make it next time. Let's just be sure and get 2 beds.
23 comments:
HOw fun!! I love love love NYC!! rEally I should just live there for a little while of my life, but I can't imagine having a young child there...anyway, I am glad you all had fun and I wish I could have gone. next time!!
I forgot you were going on this trip, how fun!
i am SO stinking jealous. can i invite myself next time please???? sooooo jealous.
How exciting and wonderful to have a well-deserved break!
looks like you had a great time...
Thanks for sharing this adventure with us and by the way what is h&m yes i know i am a small town girl
Sounds like you ladies had a blast! I can only imagine what "the big apple" is like...it seems so foreign to me. Like it only exsists in the movies. :) Thank you for sharing your awesome adventure with us!
What a wonderful trip you had with some favorite people!!! As I read this I had complete de jevu!!! 8 years ago, I along with my mom 4 sisters, best friend, aunt and cousin did this same trip!!! Yes, imagine it with triple the people. This is a definite girl trip for anyone wondering what to do with sisters and mom :) Back then, though, I didn't think, "Gum, gum for dum dum" when I saw that picture of you standing by that statue at the museum :) I think this would be a good trip to plan for all of us SAA gals in 10 years for a reunion :)
You are one hot momma standing by those bikes! What an awesome vacation! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Sounds like an awesome trip! I haven't been to NYC but I can't wait to go. I love H&M! There is one in our mall right next to the playland. I am always so tempted to just leave my kids there while I step in and browse for a while. I am only afraid I would get sidetracked and forget the kids!
I am SOOO glad you loved it! It's a totally different world! You can just spend so long doing so many different things! I enjoyed hearing everything you did!
How fun I am jealous!
I think that we should take a trip together one day! Even thought I am more jealous that I care to admit, I am so glad that you got the opportunity. It sounds like you had a blast and I know you deserved it. I too have heard the tales of H&M and can't wait for the day when I get the opportunity--just one more thing to be jealous of. I guess until we take a trip together I will just live vicariously through you!
Jayne, I'm so glad you made it back to be hungry in church with me ;) What a fun time, and a great documentary on it! Why don't you just pack on of those frozen hot-chocolates in your bag next week, and we can share it on the back row.
this blog made me sad. i want to go back!!!
Glad you had FUN!! I can't wait to go there someday - without kids! =)
Oh Jayne, thanks for helping me live the life vicariously through your awesome post. I LOVE NYC... okay sure-- so I've never actually been there-- but I love it still the same. I love H&M. I bought way too much there in London-- but at their prices you can totally afford it! Okay, pathetically long reply now over. Thanks again.
I'm so jealous, Jayne! You're trip sounds like so much fun!
I am so glad you hit Serendipity--the picture made me so jealous....and hungry!
So awesome! I am so glad you had such a great time!
I heart NYC. I'm so glad you had fun. John still hasn't been there.. we are planning a trip soon.
OH MY GOSH - my dream trip. (well, one of them) How fun to be with just the girls, too! Good for you! You look SO stinking cute, too!
Gosh, I can't imagine you'll see my post as there are so many preceeding mine, but can I just say that your mom is one of my favorite people and it did me good to see her! The weekend sounds like such a good time. I wish I had sisters...though as it is with my mom and I, we are short enough to sleep sideways on a bed if needs be AND there's only the two of us anyway so we could sleep the usual direction.
Look what I just found online!! We have to try this!
http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/frozenhotchocolate.shtml
Looks like a really great time. I'm so glad you were able to go!
Post a Comment