Friday, November 23, 2007

All About Bees....

Today I took my kids to see "The Bee Movie". During the first 5 minutes I heard a quote. Ethan actually was the one that remembered it and repeated it to me on the way home. It was during a "bee" graduation ceremony mentioned by the speaker. "You've worked your whole lives to finally get to the point where you'll work your whole lives". This struck a chord with me. I thought about it throughout the entire movie. The movie is about a bee that discovers he doesn't want to just work the same job day after day the rest of his life. He leaves the hive, meets a human, becomes friends with her, and has a few adventures. He discovers that honey is sold by humans. He finds where the honey bees are kept and decides it is completely unjust so sues the humans. The bees win and they no longer have need to work as much as they once did. They have enough honey to live on for a while so the bees basically take a break. Blah, blah, blah.......everything dies because without the simple jobs of bees everything is screwed up. Moral of the story: every job is important, even if it's little and seems unimportant. This kind of sums up my life in it's current phase. I do the exact same job day after day after day. It often seems unimportant. Laundry, dishes, toilets, diapers, feeding, bathing, dressing, cooking, homework, bedtime. Start over. And over. And over again. Sometimes it just feels like everything I do is ridiculously mundane. But, who would do it if I didn't? This movie made me feel like all the little things I do everyday add up to one great thing in the end. (Hopefully it ends up with productive, healthy, well-balanced adults.) Someone the other day asked me if I worked. The exact way it was phrased was "Oh, so you don't work then?" Ya buddy, spend a day in my shoes before you judge who works and who doesn't. My work might not seem important, but it is. It is.

17 comments:

Susan said...

I totally understand you. I think things were easier when I worked 50 hours a week outside the home, but what we do now is so much more important.

Jill said...

It is, it is oh wise one :)

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Tis true, tis true, Amen, amen. You said it, and well. Thanks! =)

Audrey said...

I always like to say--I work, but I don't get paid with money. Isn't the statistic something like, if your husband had to hire out someone to do all of the jobs a stay-at-home mom does, it would cost over $100,000 a year? Not to mention you actually love your kids too!

Jodie B. said...

This was such a great boost to my day! This is something I have really been struggling with lately but this new perspective helps a lot! Thanks!

Judaloo said...

I love all of your posts, Jayne, but I really loved this one a LOT. Great way to put it.

Anonymous said...

Amen!

The Posse said...

Hear, hear. It is, baby.

And I loved that movie!

Lyndsey said...

it is the most important job any mother could do!! maybe mondane but very important. groundhogs days are what we all live through...

Natalie said...

Did you see Jerry Maguire? This will make more sense if you did: Jayne, you are my ambassador of qwan! Seriously, can I get an amen?!?
I LOVE YOU

Laurissa said...

I've been thinking about this a lot too (in between laundry, cooking, cleaning--if there is a between). Thanks for the reinforcement!

Becca said...

I think every mom who reads this relates to what you said. We all get stuck in the tedium and routine that is our lives and I guess that we just need to thank you for making us smile about it and reminding us that it really is worth it!

Rischel said...

We mothers are so important aren't we. What a blessing we have doing the job we do!!

rebecca said...

Thanks for this post! I have been feeling the same way lately(same thing day after day), and you remind me how lucky I am to have a hand in my kids little lives as they grow up and not a babysitter :) You are the best! You always make me feel better!

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!

nicole said...

way to tell it Jayne!

Ruth Harper Gough said...

Yes Jayne, it is. Thanks for reminding us all.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.