Thursday, June 24, 2010
Dunzo....
Has school started yet? Because I'm done with summertime. Sure. There is no hurrying to wake everyone up, make lunches, and get them to school on time. No after-school carpool line to fight with. But. They are all here. All. The. Time. And I'm so over it. We've gone to the swimming pool a few times this summer to beat the heat. They fight with each other on the way over. They complain and argue while we are there. They fight even louder on the drive home. Today. Wow. I lost it. After I yelled my peace I enjoyed the silence of their uncomfortableness. They knew it was over. Mrs. nice mom that is. They could tell. My mind was reeling with all the things I could do to make their summer one they would never forget. Tomorrow? I'm taking Presley and Landon to the pool (because they are just happy to be there). The older three? They will be home with a list of jobs that must be completed by the time I return or....or..... I'm not sure. But something bad. And all these bodies laying around because it's too hot outside? Don't care. I've instituted a 'no electronic devices until noon every day' policy. Because idle children make fighting ensue all the more. We will be working. Reading. Playing. Or just watching the paint on the walls. I really don't care. Anyone complains? I add 15 minutes more to the electronics ban for any whine I hear. Or the word bored. Nice, right? I hope so. I'm hoping this changes these little people around here. And helps my summer to be more enjoyable. Because if it continues as is, come August I'll need to be committed. Seriously.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
8 comments:
Hang in there my friend..... and I am taking notes. I like the strategy.
i am laughing so hard! but be strong, and i like the no electronics rule. it is a good one. and only til noon, it will be good for them! Good luck!
love your open honesty. Have you tried gardening? By gardening I mean what my mom made us do and just weed for hours, every blade of tiny little grass? Manual labor sounds like a good idea. My mom made us pick rocks and fill 2 5 gallon buckets every day before we could do anything just to dump them in the parkstrip. Do you have a lot of rocks and some buckets? Is Ethan old enough for some child labor mowing lawns or anything? I'll keep thinking.
Wow, I totally lost it on thursday-jobs were not done,house was a disaster,and jake had the nerve to ask if he could call a friend while fighting with his brother-now that's talent. It pushed me over the edge and I too enjoyed the silence that followed and the clean house too. I wish I could get the same results when I'm being a cheerful nice mom! We're all in the same spot and this too shall pass but in my books -not fast enough!!!
hang in there Jayne. At our house T.V. and computer and anything like unto them are band until daily chores, breakfast reading, and piano practice is done. Then they are limited to how much they can use those items after that. and when those rules aren't enough we go with no electronics days. They actually have to figure out ways to play that don't involve a piece of electronics to intertain. Most of the time it works because if they balk it becomes two full days instead of one.:) talk about mean mom!
So refreshing.
I seem to be surrounded with moms that CAN'T WAIT for summer...which makes me think that there's something wrong with me. Or should I say something else to add to the LIST OF THINGS that are wrong with me. That would be more accurate.
(Is it horrible that I'm still working lunches just so I can get 3 hours of peace and quiet? And paid for it too! HA!)
(And if it is, I don't care.)
Loved your post cause it sounds like life at my house. Hang in there! I feel the same way. I can't wait for summer to be over. My kids argue and fight ALL day!! Oh how I love school!!
This is one of the reasons I think I'm going to enjoy year round school.
I look forward to your future posts describing how this works out.
Post a Comment