Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Fond Farewell.....

I remember the very day we got this little van of ours. May of 2000. Ethan was 5 months old. Our car was dying and we needed something new. I really wanted a ford explorer. Or any kind of SUV. The only thing I refused to purchase was a mini-van. Too stereo-typical for me. After test driving vehicles every Saturday for 3 months with this one particular sales lady, she was sick of us. We showed up again and she was busy. She made herself busy and was noticeably ignoring us. So, we met Ed. He was in his early 50's. We told him our recent history. He smiled and said "I have just the vehicle for you to try". It was a mini-van. I refused. "I think you guys should just try it. It'll surprise you." Surprise me it did. 3 blocks later found us kicking tires, moving seats forward and back, opening doors, locking, unlocking, and blasting the stereo. We couldn't resist. We drove it off the lot that very afternoon. That poor sales lady that lost her commission. We got a lot of guff for buying such a large vehicle for such a small family. But we were looking into the future of medical school budgets and birthing babies. In 2003 when all our medical school friends were birthing their 3rd child and needing to upgrade vehicle size, we were able to avoid that very scenario. I have sure loved this van. We all have. A lot of memories. The orange stain under the cup holder because the McDonalds drink ate through the bottom of the cup left over night. The red crystal light stain close by because an angry child hurled his "spill proof" sippy cup up to the front in protest of something. Gum wads. Wrappers buried so deep in the recesses of the seats they will never be found. Numerous vomit clean-ups. And that isn't even the good stuff. Countless road trips. Out west and back. Nauvoo. St. Louis. Chicago. And everything in between. Sandy lake trips. Sandy park trips. A lot of laughter. And a lot of tears. We are now filled to capacity. We can either take all our people, or all our stuff. But not both. We just don't fit. My kids legs are getting longer and their bodies are getting larger. We are feeling a little cramped. It's time to bid farewell to the faithful van that has gotten us where we need to be for the last 10 years. Hopefully this baby will see us through the next 10.

Or 20. Or until all the kids have moved off to college.

16 comments:

Laci said...

what a nice upgrade! enjoy the new car!

Rhonda said...

Nice! Looks like everyone will fit in this bad boy! Yeehaw! Let the road trip begin! Hurry up and get your fancy new wheels out here so we can love all of you at once.

Rhonda said...

I just remembered my own memory with your mini van when it was new...we had just gotten our truck, you had the new van and the crazy wyoming wind blew your door into our passenger side door...so we both had fresh dings in our new rides. that was funny, we consider it good luck now to get a ding in the door right off the bat because we have had no problems with the truck all this time;) We also got a ding on our car the first week we had it...again...no problems..well, the airconditioner broke but the windows still roll down;)

Danelle said...

Ooooooooooooh, pretty. Have fun with that. My car is from 1985...let's just say I'm a wee bit jealous, but happy for you, none-the-less.

K.E.N said...

WOW!!! Look who's rollin ghetto fabulous. Love the new wheels.

Becca said...

As one of those who gave you guff for the mini van--I apologize. You two really are smart! And you totally deserve that nice new set of wheels. You'll look fabulous behind the wheel!

Us Lochers said...

I've been itchin for some new wheels.... so I'm totally jealous right now. BUT Happy for you all. It will be WAY more comfortable of a ride and have a LOT more get up and go for your driving trips. You're gonna love it!

Eric said...

Cool looking set of wheels! I love it and would to have one like it for myself!

Will you be living in it?

Raquel said...

Nice! Now you are ready for a road trip...wanna come visit?

charlie said...

I hope it has four wheel drive. Remember when you used to always try and shoot the gap leaving our house on Kevin Way at 5 in the morning and I had to come dig you out? I remember.

heidi k said...

Nice! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

NICE! Have fun on your trip.

Natalie said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! Big pimpin'!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I must have missed something growing up....I'm the only one that had no problem driving a minivan ( a 1997 and still going strong - hopefully!) All my friends sound just like you ;) Of course, because they all drive SUV's, I consider THAT stereo-typical.

This thing looks enormous. But for long road trips, I think that's a good thing. ENJOY!

Kimber said...

Nice!

Audrey said...

That is one pimped out ride. You better own some sweet sunglasses driving around in that thing.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.