Monday, February 18, 2008

Spokesperson.....

I should be a spokesperson for medicine companies. Particularly Flinstone Vitamins, Zofran, and Tamiflu. Flinstone vitamins have changed my life. Now that I'm taking the new vitamins, Zofran is able to do it's job and I have been able to succesfully keep food in my stomach where it belongs for the past 6 days. Fabulous. I owe Tamiflu the short duration in which Jack spent lying on the couch. Day 2 the fever was very mild, by day 3 he was back to his normal self. 2 days as opposed to 5-7 it usually takes to get over influenza. Worth every penny. I would truly be able to convince others of these medicinal powers and make a lot of money for the companies. My husband, on the other hand, shouldn't be allowed to comment on medicine. Sure, he does an awesome job of diagnosing the issue and prescribing the currect drug to cure the illness, but the way he makes me aware of the side-effects would dissuade any user from any miracle cure they might experience. Case in point: I had just pulled the medicine dropper from the cupboard and was filling the proper dosage of Tamiflu for Jack when Shawn called. He asked if I'd given him any yet.
Me: I was just about to dose him now.
Shawn: I just thought I should let you know that Tamiflu is known to cause some psychiatric issues when given to children.
Me: What are you saying? Should I not give it to him then? (angry that I'd just spent an exorbant amount of money on the stuff)
Shawn: No. I just wanted you to be aware. It only occurs in less than 5% of children and most of them lived in Japan. Just watch him.
Me: ?????????

Maybe we should just keep the statistics to ourselves after we prescribe a medication, okay Doctor?

10 comments:

Jill said...

I won't rain on your parade, right Ashley? :)

I am glad you are feeling better!!!

Charmayne said...

So true isn't it. Who really needs to know what might or might not happen. I am glad to hear your felling better Jayne. Have a great week.

Susan said...

Doesn't it become difficult when they know everything that can possibly go wrong. Sometimes I think it is better to be kept in the dark. Glad to hear you are feeling better, though.

Us Lochers said...

Just regular children's flinstone vitamins? hmmmm

Jodie B. said...

Good thing you don't live in Japan!! That is too funny!! Glad you are feeling better!

Rebecca Pierce said...

That's funny. I was getting all excited to get on a drug for my Narcolepsy, and I had talked to this lady at Stanford who does research there and has narcolepsy and she told me about this drug that has changed her life. She said it puts you into such a deep sleep that you wouldn't really be able to take it if you were a single parent, it's that profound of a sleep. I set up an appointment for my friend, a doc to prescribe. Then I got on the website and realized that the med is GHB...THE DATE RAPE DRUG! Yeah, a profound enough sleep to be raped and not even know it. I don't think I'll be taking advantage of its benefits as long as I am contemplating more kids. Hopefully they'll have something with less negative associations available in 10 years when I am done with child birth. You know what? I'm going to post this comment. Just know I wrote it originally for you. :)

Tisha said...

I am glad you are feeling better! It was so nice to see you and Shawn at Sam's Club the other day! You look great!

Erin said...

Haha! I love that conversation. "thanks a lot, dr!"

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better,yea! We have that conversation alot at our house as well only is it usually reversed. I am hesitant to take or give anything to my kids and Justin has to reassure me again and again that it is ok.

T K Barlow said...

I love to read your blogs, they always make me laugh, I even made Tom read it. Looking back from 25 weeks, it only gets better. :)

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.