Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Influenza Day!

When I was a young girl in school I was sick every valentine's day. I missed countless parties. I always made my box carefully, chose which valentine card went to which kid in my class, and took them all to school a few days before the big event knowing the party would be the best one ever. Then on the 14th I'd wake up with a fever and chills. No fail. One of my friends would stop by after school with all the valentine's I'd received and brag about the love fest that happened. I might have actually made it to a few parties throughout the years, but the valentine's days I remember were spent in bed sipping gatorade and eating popsicles. The worst was my senior year of high school. Our drill team held a fundraiser every year selling balloons and giant cookies. On valentine's day a few drill team girls and a few football team guys ran around dispersing the purchased goods and planting giant kisses on the cheeks of the recipients. I was once again home in bed missing the festivities. I seemed to get over this curse when I got married. I don't remember being sick in the last 12 years on this particular day. I am sad to say that I have, however, passed the curse on to my children. This is the 1st year Jack would be participating in an actual party with decorated boxes and a preschool class of friends to fill them with cards and candy. Except he started running a fever at 6 pm last night. This morning at 5:30 he was at 105. I have a connection at the hospital that got him in quickly to be swabbed for influenza, which came back positive for influenza A. Luckily that same connection was able to write a script for tamiflu. Don't know if it will help, but it's worth the effort. Poor Jack. He's asleep on the couch with a sippy cup full of gatorade and a belly full of popsicles. I hope it's a fluke this year and he isn't jinxed like I was. I want him to remember the holiday for the love it represents and not the fever & chills he's experiencing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are celebrating influenza day around here to. Actually there is no diagnoses yet. The one person who has it in our house is the only one who got a vaccination for it. Mark is home today sick as a dog and pretty pathetic. Happy Valentines day!

Deeanna said...

I think Amaya has this same curse...I'm ashamed to admit though that last year I doped her up on ibuprofen and sent her off to school only to find out at the doctor's the next day that she had strep. (Talk about feeling like a horrible parent!) This year when she got sick...I took no chances and took her into the doctor this morning and found out that she only has a really bad sinus infection. Hopefully Maggie will remember to bring home her valentine's.

Charmayne said...

Hope your doing better Jack. We can relate in the Bowling household. Marlee had Oral Surgery ~ had an adult tooth removed that wouldn't erupt. So she missed out on the V-Day festivities and it was even a field trip to our capitol buidling here in Salem. She was bummed as I'm sure Jack was. Being sick on holidays shouldn't be allowed. Glad to hear your feeling better pregnant mamma. :)

Rebecca Pierce said...

That's awful! You need to get your "hospital connection" to do something Feb 7th to amp up the immunity or something!

Anonymous said...

So sad! As if your little household hadn't seen enough of the sick days. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

jayne I love your blog. I am sorry that you have been so sick, but I truly love how real you are. You are a wonderful person. I am excited to see you soon. Beckie

Kate said...

Valentines Day resulted in our house the slaying of our brand new Bowflex. We ordered it right after Christmas and finally received it. Brandon was putting it together when he took a minute, literally a minute, to sign my Valentines Day Card with the kids and my Cooper (he's 2 1/2) slayed it with the very knife that his daddy was using to assemble it. Oh what a sad day it was. It's being mended as I write and hopefully we'll get her back tomorrow. Work out days, here I come. I'm glad you are feeling better Jayne, hang in there.

DeGooyer Family said...

I can relate!! =) Glad you're all feeling better.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.