Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Fever....

Today I took Kennedy to see the new Justin Bieber movie "Never Say Never". One could assume that Kennedy was on her hands and knees begging her old mother to take her to see the hip star in all his glory. But. One would be wrong in this case. When I saw that it was in theaters I asked her if she'd go see it with me. Her response? "Mom. No way. I'm not a Bieber fan." Slam. I somehow convinced her, and we went. Now. Before all these crazy rumors start about me being infatuated with a 16 year old pop star, it's just not the case. Frankly I think the boy needs a haircut. And to pull up his pants. (Wow. I am old.) The movie for me wasn't about the music. (Though I admit that I do enjoy some of his tunes) It was the coming of age story. The boy-next-door-trying-to-use-his-gift-to-achieve-his-dream story. It amazes me that someone so young can achieve all that he has achieved in his short life span. He was raised by a single young mom, and his grandparents. When he gets a short break from tour he's expected to clean his room before he can go out with his friends. He's a kid. Who likes to eat McDonald's, play video games, annoy adults around him by boyish behavior, and just being a kid. Only. He's expected to live in an adult world making more money than most adults. And behaving like an adult in certain business ventures. That's a lot of pressure for a kid. But he's doing it. And doing it well. The movie made me think of my own kids. What their talents are. What kind of people I'd like them to grow up to be. Justin Bieber's Dad came to one of his concerts and cried like a baby back stage. I know those tears. Experienced them. Tears of pride. Pride that your kid is shining for others the way you see them shine always. This movie made me feel like I need to support my kids in whatever crazy adventure they are trying to pursue. Rubik's cubes, baking, karate, coloring, whatever. I just want my kids to feel like I know they are capable of amazing things. So they won't be selling out Madison Square Garden when they are 16. That's most likely not their destiny. Being the best little people in my world? That they can achieve.

5 comments:

rebecca said...

I love this post;) I was just telling Kordin that we should go see it. He asked, "Why, mom???? You like him????" I told him I think he's a good kid who is a great role model for kids like Kordin. See, Kordin is sure he is going to go on America's Got Talent(because he's too young for American Idol:) and win:) So for this and all the other reasons you listed in your post, I do like Justin Bieber;)

Natalie said...

I love that you went.......

christine said...

Great post, Jane. I've never payed much attention to the Beibs. Don't really like his tunes. Maybe I should take another look?

Nielsen Family News said...

Jayne I think that is a great post- you are an awesome mom!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

If annoying adults is a sign of talent, it looks like mine have all been blessed.

I've heard other people saying great things about this movie too....once it comes out on Redbox maybe I can convince someone to watch it with me.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.