Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rock The Parkway...

The last weekend in March my running girls and I headed to Kansas City to run a 10k. The weather had been fabulous all week so we were pumped. Also. Who doesn't love a girls get-a-way? We headed down Friday night so we could pick up our race packets, shop, and eat. We stayed in a hotel near the starting line so we could fully enjoy our morning.
When we woke Saturday at 6 am we could hear the wind howling. Not a great sign. I said, "I would so much rather run in the rain than in the wind". Famous last words. By the time we were lined up waiting for the gunshot, it was sprinkling. As we rounded the corner of our 1st mile we were in a downpour. Our shoes were soaked through from puddles by mile 2. And I LOVED it! Every. Single. Soaking. Wet. Minute. I felt like a kid again. We spaced ourselves out and into our own grooves. I was lucky enough to run with Michelle. We kept the same pace throughout. At the finish line we all looked like drowned rats. And then we started to get cold. We headed back to the car and drove to a fancy schmancy cupcake shop for a post-race indulgence. My teeth started chattering something fierce and they wouldn't stop.
But the cupcakery was adorable. Even with chattering teeth.

We headed back to the hotel for warm showers. Which finally stopped the chattering. We checked out of our hotel and headed to an up and coming shopping area to browse. Hunger pangs led us to a restaurant called "Ra". (Raw) As in sushi. Which none of us were brave enough to venture into except Julie. We ordered the teriyaki chicken. Delicious. Though we did receive chopstick lessons free of charge.
What a great race day. I've decided that 10k's are my new favorite thing. You don't have to train for them like a 1/2 marathon, but they are more than just a short run like a 5k. I love them. There aren't many of them around. Seems like others haven't found a passion for them like myself. I'm on the lookout. If you know of any good ones, you know where to find me. Thanks runner girls for keeping me moving. And for being great company even off the pavement.

3 comments:

Raquel said...

J.
You are so blessed to have such fun gals to run with. And even after running in a downpour you all look refreshed and inspiring.
To the running gals...I heard many good things about you all, and my girl Jayne loves you all. I tried to run with her and she pushed me up a hill that would have made you all proud.
I guess I am on the look out for a 10K.

Natalie said...

I am so impressed....... for a gal who once hated to run........ you are awesome!!!

Becca said...

That whole weekend sounds like a blast!!! It reminds me of the time I ran St. George in the rain-I don't think my feet have ever been so raisiney-it took them a whole day to look like normal again.
And if you're looking for 10K's, I know a few great ones and you'd have a build in place to stay.....

I miss you!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.