Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Experimentation...

I'm going to run another half marathon this year. There is a whole slew of them for me to choose from. Most of my running girls are doing one in Tennessee at the end of April. I don't think I'll be ready (mentally) for one that soon. So. I'm doing one mid-august in South Dakota with another running friend. Who is waaaaay faster than me. But. It's not about the time. Right? Sure. I've been discouraged lately. About my athletic ability. I feel I'm.......lacking. I run and run and run. And where does it get me? I can run short distances. Only I'm slow. I can run long distances. Only I'm really slow. You'd think after all the time I spend with my ipod and running shoes on my feet that there would be some kind of improvement. Somewhere. It's frustrating. Some people are born to run. They come from a long line of runners. Parents once ran in college. They ran cross-country in high school. Me? I couldn't even run a mile until after I birthed my 3rd child. That's third child. I was the one in Jr. High that wasn't able to run the mile required to do well in P.E. I walked it. But. Slowly over time I've been able to train my body to get where it needs to go without having to walk every 2 minutes to catch my breath. And it feels good. Until I try to compare myself to those girls I run with who have managed to improve. So. I thought, for a brief day or two, that maybe this spring I needed to try another route. Like a sprint triathlon. I found one in early May close to home. In order to do this type of race I need to be swimming, biking, and running. Weekly. Good. My body could use the change up. If my running speed isn't going to improve, I'll work the system by being mediocre in all sporting arenas. Yesterday morning at 5:30 I donned my swimming suit, goggles, and headed to the community center in town. Oh. And I took Ethan with me. He recently quit the swim team (long story that probably has to do with his intuitive ability to recognize where his talents truly lie) so he knows the ropes on training to become a swimmer. At 6 am I swam 50 meters. Then another 50. At this point I was exhausted. I couldn't catch my breath. I tried to swim a 25 but because my lungs weren't able to fully expand, I came up choking half-way through. Lovely. I'm sure the lifeguard was enjoying the show. I managed to do a few more 50's with breaks in between. After about 30 minutes Ethan asked if I wanted him to show me how to do the butterfly. I almost drowned just laughing at the thought of attempting such a stroke. I ended the swim session. While I was showering off the chlorine I came to a conclusion. I'm a land mammal for a reason. I'm a horrible swimmer. Yeah, I'm sure I can work at it and become stronger. And because I want Ethan to keep his options open, I'll probably take him at least one morning a week to swim. But. I'm not ever going to excel in this sport. I might not even make mediocre status. And I'm really okay with that. I won't be competing in that triathlon this spring. Not because I don't think I can do it. But because I don't want to. It's not important enough to me. I'm going to keep running. I felt so good this morning when I donned my running shoes and my ipod and hit the treadmill. And my run was awesome today. When I look back at how far I've come, I actually really have improved. I'm not giving myself enough credit. Moral to this long drawn out story? When you feel like you are not improving, or lacking in a specific area, try something else. You just might fail at it so miserably that it makes you feel like mediocre is okay.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You INSPIRE me!

HeatherWasHere said...

Um yeah, since when is not being able to run a mile to running a half marathon NOT considered improving? For heaven's sake, Jayne! ;) Keep it up, your strong healthy body will thank you in the years to come, no matter what your "time" is.

And for every person you are unfavorably comparing yourself to, there is another person looking up to you thinking, I wish I was as good as Jayne!

Audrey said...

I swam in high school because I was forced to. I was a diver and the swim team wanted all the points they could rack up at the meets, therefore, they hoped that if any of us divers could finish the race at all, we could get some points for them. My point being, the swimming was incredibly hard. You don't feel yourself sweating because you're in water. I could never have been a swimmer. I admire all those girls.

As for my running story--two for the price of one here--I sat next to an Olympian runner one time on a plane. She was this petite, little thing and I confessed to her that running had always been really difficult for me. She said, I'm paraphrasing here, that some people's bodies are just designed for running because of their tiny size. I, being 5'7" am tall for a runner apparently and I'm fairly certain you're taller than me. I did become a runner for a point in my life and I felt such an amazing accomplishment in it because I had struggled for years and years at it. There's something to be said for the push and struggle to make your body submit to your mental image of its capabilities.
I admire all you've done. Running a half marathon or whatever you choose to do is just great.
(Sorry this is so long.)

Charmayne said...

Thanks for giving me hope! I am sure you have never been as out of shape as I am now. This old body of mine is yelling out for change so we got a treadmill. I can barely cope at 2.8 incline 1 but I know it will get better-especially if I can lose all these extra pounds weighing me down.

Nielsen Family News said...

Jayne- I think you are amazing- way to stick with it. Not only are you achieving great things, but you look fantastic too! How cool to go with Ethan, good mother son bonding!

Maren said...

so true!

the half I signed up for is in Quincy IL, the timing worked out better for me to do that one. maybe you should come run it!

heidi k said...

I love the last sentence of your post!(all of them are good but that one made me laugh!) Your running consistency inspires!

Becca said...

Yay for you! And now here comes the talking to...you don't do any of this for anyone else. You do it for YOU. You're not entering the half marathon to win it, you're doing it to accomplish something you once thought impossible. And with that said, there will always be someone faster than you and there will always be someone slower than you to. Your only competition is yourself and that's all you need to worry about.

And since you brought up people being born to run, there is a excellent book with that very same title. The runners in it are ridiculously fast, but it is inspiring for anyone who loves to run. I would highly recommend reading it! The author is Christopher McDougall.

Rebecca Pierce said...

I think that's an awesome goal! Way to go! I don't think I could run 1/4 mile. I will try after I get this baby out...

Raquel said...

Bwahhh! I am looking for our true calling...like who can eat the most ben & Jerry's OR Bachelor back to back marathon. Really those are difficult, ya know brain freeze is hard to recover from but I think we should give it a try.

Ethan said...

You are a great swimmer! Don't think you are horrible just because you aren't good right away, even though you were good right away. Don't give up on yourself! Ethan

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.