This course was crazy. We ran past my house at mile 2, down a long road, and then turned around and ran back past my house at mile 6. I "gu"ed at the top of the ginormous hill because I saw Ethan holding a water bottle out for me to drink from. After 1 more mile I couldn't keep up the pace. My mental state was starting to beat out my physical state. So. It was mile 7 that I strayed from the group. The kept turning around to cheer me on, and I kept encouraging them to go forward. I didn't want to be the one to hold anyone back. For the last 6.1 miles it was me, my ipod, and those blasted hills. Whomever made the course obviously was looking at a terrain map. They chose the largest hills in all of the city and worked them in. The last turn before the finish line was even uphill. Ridiculous. But. I finished.
My little running group staggered their finish times. The 1st one of us through was only about 15 minutes ahead of me. The really irritating part? 2 weeks previous we all ran 13 miles. We did it 10 minutes faster than my race time. And. We enjoyed ourselves. This course diminished the love I had of the grand finish.
I think I'm holding back tears. It frustrated me to no end that I let my tiny mental roadblocks determine how I would run.
But I'm still glad I did it. I need to remember that not everyone will run 13.1 miles in one time frame.
My peeps: Michelle, Me, Sarah. Front---Julie and Beth. These girls make running truly enjoyable to me.
Julie is my 4:30 am wake up call. I actually miss the early morning runs. Not the actual getting out of bed that early. But the refreshing way to start my day.
Cassie is wearing the pink hat. She didn't train this year for the race, but she was the actual reason I ran. When I met her clear back in April she mentioned it to me. I pondered it. But figured it would never really happen. The day I was to run 10 miles she ran 6 of it with me. She carried water, gu, and kept me feeling like I was truly capable of this accomplishment. If it weren't for her I wouldn't have raced. And I wouldn't have become acquainted with the group of girls I run with. Thanks Cassie.
And thanks WOW girls. What a great group.
Christine made me this ginormous button to wear to church the following day. And I did. We figured sweatbands might be a tad bit inappropriate.
My little cheering crew. Shawn dragged them all out bed to meet me at the finish. Thanks babe.
I'm sad that this little race put a sour taste in my mouth. Honestly? I'm not really that proud of myself. Yes. I finished. But not like I'd hoped. And I'm not talking about my time either. It was never about the time. I want my mental self to finish strong. I'm going to keep doing this until I get it right.
21 comments:
Jayne, I am so impressed with you that my words will pale in comparison to how I feel. You did something so hard that I am just about 100% sure I will never do. It's a bummer that it took you longer than it had before in practice but that is all due to how you started. When I feel rattled things just don't go as I had planned--like with your watch & headphones. Well way to be girl! Super happy for you. Love, Beckie
Go Jayne!
Regardless of how you may feel about it, I am proud of you!
You did it, even if you aren't happy about it. This proves you can do it again, and you will be able to prepare for it mentally better next time. Awesome job!
Jayne no matter how you feel about your race think about how far you have come. I remember you telling me that you "don't run" because you thought you looked funny running or something like that.
REALLY, you amaze me and inspire me. I am sure you will have many more races in you future and you will rock.
Congratulations for what you accomplished!!! I just started running again last week, and I'm up to a mile. You did GREAT!!!!!!!!!
I was really frustrated with my first (and only thus far) half marathon. BUT I actually want to do it again. I want to beat my time, as well as be more confident throughout it.
You're awesome! Don't forget that not many people can say they've ever done a half marathon... so you're better than them. he he he
It makes me so sad that you were disappointed. Jayne! That is a HUGE accomplishment! HUGE!!! I don't know if I will ever run that far in my life, I am in awe of you and your runnin' legs. Congratulations, don't feel sad. That picture of you fighting back tears makes me want to cry, too. But you did it!!! I am so impressed. I know how easily it is to get thrown out of your groove and mindset. When my ipod loses battery power, I am DONE. :)
Okay, so you are amazing. I can't even run a mile. ONE mile. Even in high school. One lap around the track was all I could make. And look at you.....so inspiring.
Sorry the race didn't go as well as you had hoped. But girl you are inspiring me start pushing myself in the exercise arena! I am proud of you for doing it! Things will go better next time!
Oh how I get it, my friend--totally 100% get it. So, I'm not going to tell you to feel good about what you accomplished (even though you should) because, sometimes that accomplishment just isn't enough.
After not meeting my marathon goals last year, I held it all in for 3 or 4 days until I knew I had to have a good cry. So I turned on the TV for the kids, sat on my bed and cried; and not a dainty womanly cry but the really ugly uncontrollable shaky cry for longer than I care to admit. And that helped, but it still didn't make it better. And guess what, every run for the past year that failure has been in the back of my head nagging me, and I'm terrified I won't meet my expectations this time!
So, I'm not going to tell you to get over it, because bottom line is, IT SUCKS!! It sucks to let yourself down. It sucks to not live up to what you know you are capable of. It sucks to know that it was the mental, not the physical that let you down. It sucks to not be the strong woman you know you can (and should) be. But.... I can promise you that it will make you stronger because the hard lessons are always the ones that matter the most!
Feel bad for as long as you need to--and just know that it's OK--it sucks--but it's OK!
(And I am still proud of you!! You're amazing and I love you!!!!)
You are AWESOME!
yeah it was a bad day, but the mental is the hard part. and now the easier physical part, 13.1, is nothing. so, when is 26.2? i'd even do it with you....if you picked a cool one, like Athens (as in greece) or the equinox (as in ak)...
keep it up.
Wow!!!!!! Congratulations!!! But I've always known that you could run a half marathon! You just have that in you!!! Believe me, just seeing a hill coming up would've been it for me!! You should come out here to sunny AZ and do the Sprint Triathalon with me next Thanksgiving - 2 mile run, 13 mile bike and 400 m swim. The run and bike will be easy because there are ABSOLUTELY NO HILLS on the whole course:) But the swim will probably drown me!!!! Very worried about that one. I'm doing it this year but wouldn't it be fun for you to come out next year and join me:)
BTW, the last comment is Rebecca, not Keith. He would be proud of you too. He keeps telling me I'm taking the easy way out by doing this sprint triatholon and not a 1/2 marathon:)
Oh Jayne... I am definitely NOT the reason you ran! YOU are the reason you ran! You are seriously amazing... and it was a HUGE accomplishment. I've always heard your goal on your first race should always be to finish... and you did that! And you are right to not worry about your time. And the best part, is you are going to keep going! You look amazing too! No one would ever know you have FIVE kids, and were able to train, and FINISH, a half marathon (with technical difficulties!). Holy cow, you are my idol for sure. That probably was not the best race to have as your first... that's for sure. Those hills were killer! Totally not fair. Flat out RUDE to have a hill on the last mile! Just remember you accomplished even MORE than you ever thought you could do... and ran hundreds of miles training for it... and you are better person for all of it! So glad to know you. And I know you feel lucky to have the running girls, but I kNOW they feel even more lucky to have YOU! :)
You're awesome...even if you tank. You are an inspiration to the regular
Well I just can't leave something sappy! You ran the race, survived, and the silver lining... You made great friends, memories, and you weren't the last one to finish....(were you?)
BTW you look so much like your mom in the button picture. LOVE YOU R.
That's so awesome that you ran a half marathon...esp. so soon after having a baby! I've been terrible about exercising lately, so I've been thinking I should make it a goal to run a race and train for it. They have races here all the time, so I have no excuse!
Jayne, what a HUGE accomplishment! I couldn't have done it...not even close! You're an inspiration! :)
Hey!! You have a BLOG!! I didn't know that! I saw it on Kimberly's, hope you don't mind, figured since it wasn't private you wouldn't mind! :D
Yep, like it or not - you are addicted!
Post a Comment